Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm on a budget, would hate to pay 30 bucs for a fuel filter from the dealer, are their any alternatives I could use? I see a bunch on Amazon, and while I'm pretty good with mechanics, I don't know if I need high flow, just a generic small engine filter, or what size diameter the inlet/outlet needs to be.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
463 Posts
You do not need a high flow.
Take the tank off and match the filter to one at your local auto parts store. If you take it in they can match it, and if it's close to the original size it will fit in the rubber holder too.
When you pull the hoses off be prepared to catch the gas.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I use the see through plastic inline filter, they work great. I just use a couple zip ties to hold it to the bracket area. I have done it on a 650 classic for over 100,000 miles so I know it works.
You have a low volume , low pressure fuel system on the 650 because of it being carbureted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the see through plastic inline filter, they work great. I just use a couple zip ties to hold it to the bracket area. I have done it on a 650 classic for over 100,000 miles so I know it works.
You have a low volume , low pressure fuel system on the 650 because of it being carbureted.
You buy that online?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,958 Posts
Your local Auto Parts will have one. I used this one for years, no issues.

Light Product Line Font Automotive tire

Here it is on my 1100.

Tire Automotive tire Black Tread Motor vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts