Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2002 and 2005 V Star 1100 Classic that I purchased 2 months ago (first bikes, new riders and no experience). 2002 came with a 16" unknown brand windscreen. The 2005 did not have a windscreen. We took the 16" off and rode both bikes without a windscreen. Also too be honest, we thought the windshield was dumb until our first 4-hour ride. I like riding without the windshield until I am going to ride at 55 plus for an extended period of time. The wind doesn't get me it is the insects that hurt. So I decided I need to buy windscreens for long rides.

So I started to look into purchasing a windscreen for the 2005 for long rides. Before making a purchase, I rode the 2002 with the 16" screen. On the top of my head, it was very turbulent. I researched the problem and learned what buffeting was. My wife rides with the 16" screen without any problem. I am 6'2" and she is 5'11" so I figured it was height related.

So I learned that the screen should come up to your nose and measured myself on the MC. Based on the result, I purchased a 19" Memphis Shades Fats screen. I tried the screen and the buffeting was about the same, very turbulent on the top of my head. I purchased a 21" Memphis Shades Fats screen and continue to have the problem. I have read that some people feel it in their chin. I do not I feel it on the top of my head.

It all starts to become turbulent when speeds are 35mph. I couldn't imagine riding for a long period of time at 50 or higher.

I plan on riding tomorrow to see if the wind is coming from the ground or over the windshield. I have seen people saying it is coming from the ground and to feel around for the wind. I originally thought it was coming from the top of the windshield but wind can be deceiving. So I am looking for what has worked for people with the same problem. I have read and Youtubed that fork deflectors may help.

Please any suggestions or ideas. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
First thing i would is put your arm across your chest and see it the buffeting changes. Experience tells me is is probably coming ovet the tank on the sides. That is why people put on lowers. Let us know how it goes. You should be looking over the shield. The nose height is pretty accurate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing i would is put your arm across your chest and see it the buffeting changes. Experience tells me is is probably coming ovet the tank on the sides. That is why people put on lowers. Let us know how it goes. You should be looking over the shield. The nose height is pretty accurate
I am going to "test" the wind location tomorrow. I can see over the 21" but I like the view over the 19" a lot better. I was bummed when the 19" did not fix the problem. I am going to rig up some lowers and try it before I buy some but I see a lot of people say it works. I will let you know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
Most windshields can tilt. You can tilt the windshield to where it stands up more or that the top lays back more. I found for me with the windshield tilted back I had the least amount of baffling. If you look at the picture, I'm on the left, the windshield is about the same angle as the front forks. Try tilting it and see if it helps.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Experience tells me is is probably coming ovet the tank on the sides. That is why people put on lowers.
When I was having wind buffeting problems the wind was coming over the tank.

You should be able to feel with your left hand where the wind is coming from.
One day I went for a ride got the bike to about 55 MPH, with my left hand I was able to feel where the wind coming from. It was coming from the side of the tank in an upward direction to my helmet. That's the reason I have lowers installed on the bike.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
before you jump too far, a couple things

unless you are riding in a 40mph head wind, you are not getting buffeting at 35mph - turbulence maybe

buffeting starts around 60 to 70mph with a tombstone windshield. Its caused by the smooth laminar flow of air coming off the top of the windshield becoming chaotic a foot or two away - the smooth wind becomes violently turbulent - this is far more turbulent than anything you would experience with no windshield on the bike.

if that turbulence hits your helmet it will feel like someone is holding an orbital sander on your skull. Your eyes will wiggle like the jello they are and your vision is blurred to where you cannot read signs on the thruway exits. You will get a terrible headache in about 5 minutes because your brain is vibrating against the inside of your skull - you are getting a mild concussion.

You cannot ride with head buffeting - you have to either duck your head down or slow down below 60mph (wind speed across the bike) until it stops.

As Les said the windshield mount should be adjustable. Usually tilting the windshield forward throws the air up steeper and higher over your helmet, but it depends on the size of your bike, how high you sit, whether you tend to lean forward or back into a drivers backrest... there are too many variables for one-solution-solves-all

the primary function of fork deflectors or 'lowers' is to extend the surface of the windshield down below the headlight - the air comes up across the deflectors and continues up across the windshield in one smooth flow - throwing it higher up over your head - there is a secondary effect where air coming up from below the windshield changes the pattern of where the air goes when it clears the top.

SO....

Try tilting the windshield all the way forward, in the middle, all the way back, and see what works best at 75mph. Keep wind blast and buffeting separate. You will never get a quiet pocket of air like a fairing on a Goldwing with a tombstone windshield on a cruiser bike, unless you switch over to a batwing. Pay attention to your vision, whether its being blurred at thruway speeds- that is the key...

If you cant get there by adjusting the tilt you can either get fork deflectors, or you can get a bigger windshield that you look thru - you can see what that would be like simply by ducking down with the one you have, and be done with it....

if you really want an interstate 85mph still air pocket you need a bat wing, or a New Venture or Eluder....

Personally I have windshields for both of my bikes, and fork deflectors on my 650. I prefer to ride on secondary roads below 65mph, and I prefer the sensation of the wind hitting me while Im riding. So I usually only put the windshield on a bike if its below 50F, just to stay warmer - for the rest of the summer and fall they get dusty hanging on the wall in the garage. If I wanted to ride on interstates at 85mph I would get a FJR1300, or a used goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
I can’t add much more than the others, that’s why we’re a one stop shop forum, lol. I cured all my buffeting turbulence with going to lowers and a fairing. No more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
when you are evaluating your WS adjustment be aware of the wind you are riding in

if you look at a flag, if its blowing so you can only see a triangle the wind is about 10mph

if the flag is gently flattening out completely and drooping back down in a cycle, its about 15mph

if the flag is held out flat in the wind, its 20mph or more

make sure you know the windspeed and direction you are riding in, because going 60 in a 20mph tail wind feels like 40mph

and going 60 in a 20mph head wind feels like you are going 80mph

behind the windshield you dont feel the windblast on your chest, so the effectiveness of the way you have the windshield adjusted can be deceptive.f

if you are trying to evaluate your windshield adjustment, and are cruising along in a tail wind, you are chasing the wind...

·
Registered
570 Posts
What they all said above ^.

Two other (more expensive options) . . . When I had my shield on, I did add lowers and played around with tilting the shield. All that helped. I did also upgrade my relatively inexpensive helmet for a Shoei, not for turbulence/buffet but for comfort and safety. That (a more aerodynamic helmet) also had a positive effect. The biggest benefit was swapping the shield for a batwing fairing, although that's a few more $'s. No more turbulence and no more buffet.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I noticed your wife doesn't get the buffering when she rides. Are you wearing the same model helmet? Does yours have a duck bill visor? Those visors can catch a lot of wind. The german helmet style can too, especially upward air flow.

Like others said, your off hand should be able to find the stream of air and sense the direction.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
^ his wife is shorter, she is looking thru the windshield.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the wife doesnt look through the sheild she is able to comfortable see over it. She does wear a differant helmet but also has the same helmet that I do. You guys have given me some idea to try. I am going to have her ride with the same type helmet and see if she experiences the same problem.

Someone up top said buffeting doesnt have happen at 35 or 40. All I can day is when I ride without the shield Ibcan ride up to 75 without being uncomfortable until a bug nails me in the chest. But the minute I ride with a 16" or 19" or the 21" right around 35 my helmet fells like it's being attacked in a stampede.

With that said I am going to test the wind and let you guys know. If I get fork deflectors I guess I am going to have to remove my highway bars. It's to bad they add a good look.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
Why would you have to remove the highway bar? Those are frame mounted, and the deflectors are fork mounted, usually. I guess they might hit in a full lock turn, but I would think you could adjust the angle, or even the size, and avoid that issue.

But, before adding lower deflectors, you need to know if the wind is coming upward from there. I don't get much from below, and I also ride the 1100 Classic.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
post some photos of a side view of your bike

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
Here's a good video explaining wind baffling causes and possible solutions.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
it looks pretty vertical

the default is to have it in line with the forks, its a bit more forward than that...

so if you can adjust the angle bring it back some

the clearance to the headlight looks about right

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the test.

I tilted the screen towards my body and it gets turbulent around 45 to 50.

Pushing the screen away from me it was getting turbulent around 55 to 60 but bearable. I rode like this and was able to ride at 80 mph. It's better but not perfect. I dont ride on interstates and most of my rides are 55 to 60 mph routes. The wind today is almost dead the trees arent moving. I have a slight headache but nothing to crazy. I may have to use ear plug with the screen.

I felt around during the ride and when I put my hand in front of my forehead the turbulence is gone.

When I felt around the tank nothing changed.

I am probably going to have to live with it because I do not want to get a bigger screen. I barely look over the 21".

The help is much appreciated.

I like this bike and it is my first bike. I do not plan on a cross country trip. Perhaps when I am ready for a cross country trip, I will upgrade to a fairing bike but I am not done with this fun MC just yet.

Also when I duck behind the screen there is not any turbulence.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
I would say that was far too far tilted forward. I know you've already adjusted it, but just saying. You can compare to mine in the pic below. Mine actually leans back at an angle greater than the forks. I sometimes think it is tilted too far back, because I can smack my face against it when mounting the bike if I'm not paying attention. Mine is the stock Silverado windshield, and if it is angle adjustable at all it can't be much. I don't see any slots for that. There might be short slots under the washers. Have not tried, and now that I read your results, maybe I will just leave it alone. I don't get much wind on my head until about 75mph or above, and even then I would not call it buffeting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts