Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Bpounds: Do you look thru yours or over it?

I wonder when a bike comes with a windshield from the factory, it has to be really tall, right?
because to look just over it the windshield has to be matched to the rider

Memphis Shades sells them in increments of 1 inch, from about 12 inches up to something like 24" - that is a lot of inventory for a dealer to keep in stock - its part of the reason why a new windshield is $400.

so when a bike like the Silverado option package comes from the factory, what size windshield comes with the bike?!

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is how I solved my turbulence problem on my 950. It has the stock 16” windshield and I am 6’0” so I was getting the typical bobble head at speeds above 50 mph. I added this deflector that is removable and adjustable. Because it is not mounted directly flush to the windshield surface air is able to slip underneath and above to effectively cancel the low pressure that the main windshield creates. I can remove it if I am just ridding local and it was only $37. It is made very well, comes in two different sizes as well as a tinted version.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
that clip on is a little scary - I worry about my windshield coming loose at 110mph - that would nail you right in the visor

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
When I got my 650 7 years ago I was an off road loving "simple bike" diehard, I could not imagine putting a windshield on my bike.

I have relatives 90 miles away. I can get there on the NY state thruway at 75mph in 1.5 hrs, or I can take secondary roads and get there in about 2 hrs at 60mph.

3 years ago I thought Id get a windshield for the 650, just to be able to ride on interstate highways at 80mph when I 'needed to'

After a month of adjusting and adding fork deflectors the bike is acceptable, but its not the pocket of quiet still air I hoped for. Its less tiring at 80mph than riding without the windshield, but for the most part I only put it on the bike when its very cold, or I know its going to rain, and I stay off the interstate highways unless they are mostly deserted.

Having spent $500 on the Memphis Shade Fats windshield and fork deflector for the 650 I think its real value is commuting in cold weather.

If I was going to ride cross country on the interstate highways, I would get an FJR1300, or a Goldwing. Both are essentially 2 wheel cars.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
560 Posts
Bpounds yours looks laid back more like Les' old vstar. Shortstrokin's looks more like mine. I am 6'2" also and don't have a problem.
So yours is aftermarket, right? What I notice, beside the angle difference, is that my OEM shield has much more curvature to it. I don't know if that matters, but aerodynamics would definitely be different.

Bpounds: Do you look thru yours or over it?
Over it. It is right about nose level. It fit me when I got the bike, so I don't know what it took to get it there. I know it is common to cut these shorter. Or adjust downward, but the headlight cutout limits that somewhat.

For the OP, I am happy to shoot any photos you think might help, or even measurements. But I suspect it will be apples and oranges compared to an aftermarket shield.

BTW, my windshield has a DOT stamp on it. I was just looking at it a few days ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
that clip on is a little scary - I worry about my windshield coming loose at 110mph - that would nail you right in the visor
You can’t pull it off with two hands without breaking something. It s fastened with four set screws but at 110 mph there are other concerns.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's mine, different bike. No buffeting at 75 - 80 MPH on open freeway.

Does your shield flexes towards you when you're riding at higher speeds?.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts