Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

'06 Black Cherry Roadliner--new to me.

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rayvin57 
#1 ·
The wife and I rode about an hour and a half north of us on the Valkyrie yesterday to check out an '06 Black Cherry 'Liner. It had 21k on it, Corbin bags and fairing, Mustang seats and Roadhouse slipons. The owner had put the top case from an FJR 1300 on it, painted the same Yamaha Black Cherry, of course. It fit the lines of the bike perfectly, IMO. Will need a rear tire in a couple thousand miles, and an air horn, and the owner wouldn't budge from the asking price of $7900--but after a test ride we bought it.
I'll pick it up in a few days and sell the Valkyrie (know anyone looking for a garage kept black '03 Valk with 12k on the odo?). I like the Valk just fine, but the couple of bikes before it were a Victory Kingpin and a Rocket III. Missed the low end torque of the Vic and the everywhere torque of the Triumph, so the Valk had to go. Very satisfied with grunt of the 'Liner and look forward to racking up some serious mileage.

#4 ·
Welcome to the 4M.

That was such a great description of the Liner I can almost picture it perfectly in my mind.....almost. :D
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I can take a hint (this thread is worthless w/o pics)--- I'll take some glam shots shortly after I get it home and throw them up here. Seen lots of sweet mods and ideas in my few days of perusing this forum. Love that profile pic, stratowart...

#7 ·
Oh, the Valk is one sweet bike, don't get me wrong. Plenty of power (about 100hp/100ft/lbs), but the torque peaks at a much higher rev than with the power v-twins like the Kingpin and the Roadliner. On the highway the Valk is a beast--can run all day at whatever speed you feel you can get away with--and smooth as silk at all rpms. I've just gotten accustomed to, and really prefer, the characteristics of the v-twins. If I could afford (and had the room in the garage) to, I would have kept the R3 and the first gen Vmax I sold a few years back for local hooligan riding, and would keep the Valk for long distance highway mile burning. Since I've got to boil it down to only one right now, I've decided to give the 'liner a shot. I wouldn't guess anyone on THIS forum would think that was a bad idea...;)

#9 ·
+1 on the differences--the Valk's seat and ergos can't match the Liner's, IMO. I've already ordered some HR1 risers, which should arrive by Wednesday, the same day I'm picking up the RLiner. Most of my riding is 2 up with the wife now, so I appreciate comfort, looks and sound more than power and ground clearance, although the Liner gets high enough marks in those areas for my old ass.

#10 ·
Ok, here are the first pics...

Didn't have time to clean it up after the ride home, but you'll get the general idea. Might swap the top case for a sissy bar, might remove the lowers. Got risers to throw on and an air horn in place of the wimpy stock meep-meep. Also noticed a whine coming from the rear end--sounds like wheel bearings are starting to go. Is this a common replacement at 21k miles?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.