Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a deal on a 07 RS Silverado 1700.
Has 11k miles, crash bars, highway pegs, cobra exhaust, passing lights, bags, mustang seat.
I think it looks like a k&n air filtration.
Overall inspection, this bike looks great and hasn't been dropped. Not a leaker.
Sat on it and balance is amazing.
Runs good and sounds good.
Haven't been able to test ride it because of all the snow on the ground.
Soon as roads dry out I will.
Used at dealer, 4150 out the door.
My question is....
Does the 1700 have the AIS?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,627 Posts
My question is....
Thanks
Yes it does, google: 07 RS Silverado 1700 ais.

Yamaha sales a removal kit. Hope this helps.

Barons also has one:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came across a deal on a 07 RS Silverado 1700.
Has 11k miles, crash bars, highway pegs, cobra exhaust, passing lights, bags, mustang seat.
I think it looks like a k&n air filtration.
Overall inspection, this bike looks great and hasn't been dropped. Not a leaker.
Sat on it and balance is amazing.
Runs good and sounds good.
Haven't been able to test ride it because of all the snow on the ground.
Soon as roads dry out I will.
Used at dealer, 4150 out the door.
My question is....
Thanks
Yes it does, google: 07 RS Silverado 1700 ais.

View attachment 91305

Yamaha sales a removal kit. Hope this helps.

View attachment 91306

Barons also has one:

View attachment 91307
Where is located? Is it easy to notice? I know the 650 I had was on the left side bottom of the frame.

·
6,627 Posts
Here's the best video I could find, I've been told the process on Warrior and Road Star are the same. I googled: "07 rs silverado 1700 ais removal kit" to confirm.

·
6,627 Posts
Thanks. I must have missed that on my search.
I know I can google just changing one word and get a completely different suggestions. Glad I could help. Make sure and keep us informed if you get it.

·
6,627 Posts
That's great. Now we need pictures.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Lol. You have an 1800. It's only a 1700. You have more power!
I sold the 1800 that i had for 10 years. Thought i was done riding until i found my Classic the following week end. The 1800 had 105 hp. Way more than i need. The weight got to be a bit much manuvering around in my yard. Bag 3.JPG mp3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,744 Posts
Great looking bike! You’re going to really enjoy the RoadStar, plenty of power when needed, tons of torque, and excellent road manners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vtx sounds like it's a 100 lbs heavier than the 1700.
The 1000 must be pretty light.
I know my 650 classic seemed pretty nimble. I guess it's all about the balance of the bike!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great looking bike! You’re going to really enjoy the RoadStar, plenty of power when needed, tons of torque, and excellent road manners!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I been needing a bike for better highway cruising.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up the bike today.
Negotiated a deal where I would do the service on it and knocked more money off the price.
Trailered it home and even though I had rock tamers on my truck, the detail they did on the bike got wiped out with road grime.
I have to wash it and detail it again.
So far, the fuel gauge reads empty when the tank is full so the sending unit is probably bad thanks to good old gasoline with ethanol in it.
What I have been researching, this is a common issue so I am not going to worry about that.
All my bikes never had fuel gauges.
I drained the oil and it was brown and nasty looking!
I have never seen brown oil before.
Don't know if it was foamed up yamalube or something?
It now has clean fresh synthetic motorcycle oil and a Mobil 1 filter.
I am going to drain and replace the gear fluid next but pipe is in the way getting the weep screw out.
Might grind down an Allen wrench to make it fit or just drain and measure what came out then replace that quantity.
I probably will be asking more questions!

·
Registered
43 Posts
!. You say the gas gauge shows empty---does the needle do a full sweep when you turn on the ignition? These gauges don't indicate fuel level immediately, you have to drive a distance before they start to indicate. Does the engine code (yellow) light flash? If it does, your sender unit in the gas tank is bad. If not, you can remove the instrument panel and remove the speedometer and lube the needle pivot points with fishing reel or sewing machine oil. Manually swing the needle(s) to work the new oil in before reassembly.(If it doesn't matter if it works or not, disregard this step)
2. On your transmission oil: prop the bike upright and drain the oil. remove the 'witness hole plug" (the small allen-head screw). Using the appropriate-sized flat washer and a pair of vise grips, remove the fill plug. Fill the transmission with oil until it weeps out of the witness hole, and fasten everything back up....you do not have to measure the amount install vs. the amount removed (the previous owner might not have filled it correctly, or you might have had leakage).
The above is suggested by my servicing of my own '07 RoadStar Midnight, brought up to surpass Silverado standards. ( DO NOT use electrical contact cleaner on your gauges-it removes the paint!)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the fuel gauge does a full sweep when the ignition is turned on. No check engine light and no fuel light is on. I added a few gallons of ethanol free gas to top off tank.
Still snowing here and can't ride yet.
I will wait until I can ride to check the fuel gauge.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts