Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
--

Breather filters are available at auto parts stores. You need to know what size hose you're using, then get any filter that fits that. Then zip tie it in place under the seat. Every couple of years it will fill with oily gunk, so just throw it away and get a new one.

--

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
--

Breather filters are available at auto parts stores. You need to know what size hose you're using, then get any filter that fits that. Then zip tie it in place under the seat. Every couple of years it will fill with oily gunk, so just throw it away and get a new one.

--
I will check that out.
Sounds like a cheap mod that is good for the bike!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,627 Posts
  1. Pick up one like pictured. The chrome cap will catch oil drops. Just have to remember to clean every so often, like every oil change. I've done it for years.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
  1. Pick up one like pictured. The chrome cap will catch oil drops. Just have to remember to clean every so often, like every oil change. I've done it for years.
View attachment 91752
Dang. I have one of those somewhere. I just have to find it!
Do you mount it upright like in the picture?

·
6,627 Posts
I always do. When you do your oil change straighten the hose out as it will have some accumulation. Never created any issues for me on my 1100 or race cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
--

Note that the filter pictured is one that you would use if you routed the hose either down or down and out to the side. The breather filter is more T shaped and would not be chromed or in sight.

--

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I went for a ride today and cruising around was fine.
Decided to jump on the highway and would see how performance was at 60 mph.
It would be fine for a little bit then cough and sputter. Get into 4th gear and would be worse.
Put in in third and dropped down to 55 and seemed ok.
I got home and went to open the PMS needle up another 1/4 turn so I had to remove the air cleaner assembly.

What I found was water spray inside coming from where the crankcase hose is attached to and beads of water inside the throat of the carburator.
I disconnected the hose, plugged the port on the air box and ran the hose to the other side of the bike.
When I started it, a drop of water blew out of the breather hose.

So in conclusion, being it was 30 degrees outside, the cover over the air filter is metal and being so close to a hot engine, warm air coming out of the hose, it was perfect condenser that produces water.
This is probably why it was sputtering at higher speeds and the oil was brown when I drained it.

Tomorrow I am removing the tank again get some hose and a filter then rerouting the breather.

·
6,627 Posts
Glad it worked. It's a pretty blue. :ROFLMAO:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts