Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has changed there own spark plugs on this bike model?

Sorry for the dumb question, but my last bike had the obvious wires capped over the plugs in plain sight. So it was a no brainier where they were located.

I am wondering where they are located, and what kind of pain they are to change myself? I've tried YouTube, and google. Everything points towards the 1100 and lower cc models.

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I looked into it a little bit. The scheduled replacement for the plugs on a 1300 is 8000 miles.

There might be a cover over the plugs and wires that you need to remove, or you might need to take the gas tank off the bike (Im not sure) but I have not seen any posts of anyone screaming bloody hell that you need to take half the bike apart to get to the two spark plugs - not for the Vstar bikes - there are some bikes built that way.

There might be a video on eweTube, and if you cant find anything on this forum you might find simple directions somewhere else online.

If you want to start wrenching on your bike you might as well get the factory service manual. Just changing your oil and plugs once instead of taking it to a shop will pay for the manual.

One thing I tell everyone: get a torque wrench, even a cheap one from harbor freight is better than none. It is VERY easy to over torque a plug or drain plug into an aluminum engine, and the first time you do it will cost you ten times the price of a cheap torque wrench to fix that 3 second mistake. The service manual has the torque spec for every bolt and nut on the entire motorcycle.

Just to be clear for anyone reading these threads that might not know what a torque wrench is: when you tighten up bolts and nuts they are designed for an exact amount of force to be applied to the wrench - no more, no less. If you dont put it on with enough force it can come loose. If you put it on with too much force it will strip out the threads. That is what a torque wrench is for- it tells you exactly how much force you are putting on the bolt or nut.

·
Registered
524 Posts
On my 1300 they are at the top of the motor the crome plastic cover is covering them and the wires pull your tank to make things easier

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
They're not terribly difficult to change, but not brain-dead easy either.

You want to pull the chrome covers off, and pulling the tank does help. Even more than that, having the proper plug socket and a 'wobbler' for your socket drive is a huge help. Especially on the front plug, you really can't go in 'straight' effectively. You need the bit of offset a wobbler provides.

Getting a torque wrench to ensure you tighten them correctly is an excellent suggestion. Under-torque them and they'll loosen up. Over-torque them and you'll end up cracking them on removal and be facing a drill & retap on your heads - not fun.

It's really not a terrible job. I typically do it 2x a year. Once just to examine them, once to change them. I change them annually "whether they need it or not". Cheap insurance. The proper tools make the difference between an easy 20 minute job, and pulling your hair out.

FWIW, I've found that 'split fire' plugs improve my performance and tend to come out cleaner/better shape (suggesting better engine performance) than 'traditional' single electrode plugs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts