Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Got an issue. Just got this 07 vstar 650 right off the lot with 0 miles. I dont think this is right, but it seems like my clutch doesnt engage it self until the clutch grip is all the way out, this is a new bike so i dont think a "warn clutch" is the issue unless the guy putting the bike together threw one in just to be a ****. Is there a way to make this adjustment? The way it looks, i would have to lengthen my cable line.. seems like a better way... well anyway thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

Got an issue. Just got this 07 vstar 650 right off the lot with 0 miles. I dont think this is right, but it seems like my clutch doesnt engage it self until the clutch grip is all the way out, this is a new bike so i dont think a "warn clutch" is the issue unless the guy putting the bike together threw one in just to be a ****. Is there a way to make this adjustment? The way it looks, i would have to lengthen my cable line.. seems like a better way... well anyway thanks!
Hi there;
IMO,the clutch grab point for the xvs650 is the only thing I don't like. It sucks... here is some info for you..

I highly recommend performing the "Clutch Adjustment Mod" as described on the www.650cnd.com website. This adjusts the clutch grab point to about halway in the movement & removes free play. the engage point for the V-Star 650 drove me crazy, so I did a DIY mod. For $17, someone sells a kit on ebay.
Search for Yamaha V-Star 650 clutch adjustment kit on eBay.

johnb

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there;
IMO,the clutch grab point for the xvs650 is the only thing I don't like. It sucks... here is some info for you..

I highly recommend performing the "Clutch Adjustment Mod" as described on the www.650cnd.com website. This adjusts the clutch grab point to about halway in the movement & removes free play. the engage point for the V-Star 650 drove me crazy, so I did a DIY mod. For $17, someone sells a kit on ebay.
Search for Yamaha V-Star 650 clutch adjustment kit on eBay.

johnb
Hi guys,

My new 09 650 silverado is the same way so was my 08 v star 250.

John, the link you posted does not seem to work.

If your new 07 has a factory warranty, a mod to your clutch could void the warranty, so I would check with them first.

It took me a little while to get used to the clutch engagement point, as long as it doesn't slip, given the fact that it's a new bike, I would just learn to get used to it until the factory warranty expires, I'm already comfortable with mine, it just takes a little practice.

IMHO, I would at least wait until the initial break in period is over and you do the 600 mile maintenance, and ask the service dept to check it out and readjust it if necessary.

I learned the hard way with mods to any new bike, I did a simple intake and exhaust mod to my first bike back in the early 70's, if the service dept finds any mods at all, they will surely use it to revoke the warranty, IF they say the mod is ok, then get it in writing, better yet, let them do the mod for you, if it doesn't violate your warranty.

Dennis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i guess if everyone else is having a similar issue, i will just learn to deal with it, unless i just get tired of it.. :) thanks guys

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am kinda use to it but i have a little diff issue, i think my clutch is slipping or may be the friction plates are worn out..

hey John.. that link which you sent me is not working..

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update:

I took my bike to the dealer today for clutch inspection, they did a good test ride and said therez nothing wrong with it. since its a small motor (650) it take little longer to speed up the guy did certain "clutch tests" and said.. looks good no issues.. but told me to keep an eye on it.. if i feel that there is some issue then we can replace the clutch.

Oil is good.. non-synthetic so that issue is ruled out. I guess i will put couple thousand miles on it before i go for the clutch replacement

The mechanic told me that whenever i feel like the engine is revving too much then shift down one gear and see. If it oks out then clutch is good or else there is some issue.
He also told me that other alternative would be to install after market clutch .. with thick friction plates and stronger springs, which would make the bike more sensitive but the clutch would be little tighter..

hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am kinda use to it but i have a little diff issue, i think my clutch is slipping or may be the friction plates are worn out..
If you don't have enough free play in the clutch cable when it is cold (both low outside temperature and cold engine/oil), you can get some slipping and the typical symptom is it pops out of second into neutral on hard acceleration. A combination of the oil being cold and the cable contracting. By the time you ride it to the dealer, the engine is warm and everything is just fine.

For those with small hands and short fingers, one or two #4 split lockwashers can be opened up, put in the clutch lever assembly around the clutch cable, and then bent flat to reduce the clutch lever travel and thus bring the clutch point closer to the bar. Be sure to adjust the free play to spec before you start the engine if you do this.

This won't increase the characteristic very short friction zone on the 650 but it will move the friction zone clutch lever angle closer to the bar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: cracked final drive

Hello all,

I talked to a buddy who is an owner of a UPS store and he told me the driver will get in trouble. The claim process I have not had problems with it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
I may be wrong, but...

a clever is the prescribed remedy for this clutch condition. My wife had the same complaint when she got her 650. But after a few years, she has gotten used to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts