Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated....
Year: 2007
Model: VStar Classic
Eng size: 650
Pipes: stock
Seat: stock, and I wouldn’t change it…comfy
Wheels: stock
Accessories: Leather saddlebags, windshield, heated grips, engine guards, driver's backrest, chrome levers and license plate frame; I spend much more on protective clothing and helmets

Story:
This is a major change in my life, from stay at home mom, to working mom, and then a divorce. But after being a first time passenger for over 14,000 miles in one season I fell in love with motorcycles! I realized that I needed my own so I would be able to get out on the road whenever I wanted! So I purchased my neighbor's bike a 2007 VStar Classic (650) with only 250 miles on it in 2008! I had to wait until I was mended from an auto crash and I took the MSF course before I was able to ride it! But as soon as I got my endorsement and plate I was out on the road. I have put 4,000+ miles on it from Sept of 08 to Sept of 09, but expect to try to hit the 5,000 before winter arrives!

By the end of this month June 2010 I should have 10,000 miles on this bike.
Goals I have reached:
Coldest temp: 27F
Longest one day ride: 595 miles in 19 hours
Longest trip so far: 4 states 960 miles in three days + Skyline Drive
Toughest ride: 360 miles across WV to NE Ohio in really bad wind conditions.

Love this bike!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's great to see you get your own ride. My wife just got a 2005 650 V Star and absolutely loves it! Great choice, good luck with it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2008 Yamaha Classic 650. I thought I wanted a smaller bike because I've had two knees replaced. But, as it turns out, I could've easily handled a larger bike. My friends still ask me if I'm going to get a larger bike. I like the Yamaha and it has plenty of power for me. I've taken it to Daytona and Tail of the Dragon and it was great. I've added a few things to it as you can see in the picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4006055254/in/photostream/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that is great...Tail of the Dragon on your 650??? I am planning a long trip next year...but was thinking I would need a larger bike for the mountains...yours handles the mountains okay???
Oh man!!!! Do you have those speakers???? on the handle bars??? I saw those at a shop over the summer....

Cool...

and EE glad to hear that your wife also has a bike....I think that is so cool....Thanks for the well wishes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bike handled flawlessly in the North Carolina and Tennessee mountains. Had all the power I needed. The Kuryakin speakers work great and are a breeze to install. I have a few chrome pieces and other things that might look great on your bike. I'd let them go cheap just to get some space in my garage. If you're interested email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice looking clean bike. Ride safe, and ride on! See ya in Geneva-on-the-lake next summer! Rumble in the streets? Is that right? I was there two years ago. Had a blast!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello 4Raven, glad to see you have made the move and and are out and about on your own bike. Whether in a group or on your own, there is no better way to have some fun or just relax. Was good to see your post as I would love my wife to take the plunge and get a bike, I know she would love it. Just a confidence thing with her she has been on one just to see how it feels, but unfortunately came off a couple of times no big injuries but just enough damage done to deflate her confidence a little. Not that she agrees but she did ok for a first timer considering the bike wasn't in perfect condition.Oh well softly softly I might be able to convince her to try again. Tho when I mention trying again the stare I get back doesn't give me much confidence that I will succeed, but if you keep at it you just never know. I will show her your post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello 4Raven, glad to see you have made the move and and are out and about on your own bike. Whether in a group or on your own, there is no better way to have some fun or just relax. Was good to see your post as I would love my wife to take the plunge and get a bike, I know she would love it. Just a confidence thing with her she has been on one just to see how it feels, but unfortunately came off a couple of times no big injuries but just enough damage done to deflate her confidence a little. Not that she agrees but she did ok for a first timer considering the bike wasn't in perfect condition.Oh well softly softly I might be able to convince her to try again. Tho when I mention trying again the stare I get back doesn't give me much confidence that I will succeed, but if you keep at it you just never know. I will show her your post.
I have taken several long runs on my own...one from Ohio to Va and down the Skyline drive (960 miles in three days) and with a couple of friends to Gauley WV (595 miles in 19 hours) I love this bike!

Maybe if your wife took one of those courses...the MSF or the Rider's Edge ...I took RE and I have used everything they taught me...that is a real confidence builder...but if she doesn't want to that her choice...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts