Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think I have narrowed down the tires I want to Michelin Commander 2's but my problem is they don't make them in the size my bike calls for. I called the dealership and asked them if I could put a 180/65/16 on my bike that should be a 170/70/16 and they said they couldn't answer that (liability reasons).

So would I have problems using a 180/65/16 instead of what the factory (170/70/16) calls for, and what would change (speedometer off, handling issues, etc.) and if that tire size doesn't work, what size would work?

I see all the tire recommendations on here and none of them make a 170/70/16

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the 180/65-16 on my VStar Tour. No issues at all. The diameter is almost identical. 1300 speedometer is off by 10% from the factory so you will not see any difference. The nice thing about the 180/65-16 is that it is a standard rear tire size for Harley's and in emergency you can always find a Harley shop who will have a tire that will fit. I have a AVON Cobra rear because I could not get the Commander II's when I need to replace the rear. Not crazy about the Cobra's, they are a little slippery in the rain. Definitely will switch when I need to replace them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. That's what I needed to hear. I can get a set shipped for around $300.00 so it looks like new tires are in my future.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
FWIW if you work it out mathematically the 170/70r16 is 25.38 in diameter with a width of 6.7" and the 180/65r16 is 25.22 tall and 4.61 wide. Don't think that is enough difference for you or the bike to ever notice. That's probably why that size is hard to find. Cheaper for manufacturers to make one size that will cover both as opposed to two completely different ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts