Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 09 650 classic, speedo reads at best 5 mph high, as early as 25 mph, taken it back to dealer twice, they state it is within spec's.
i know better, any help would be great

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 09 is about 7 mph on the high side...

I don't think I have ever had a bike that did not read 5+ mph fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input, you seem to have the same problem, the problem i have is 60 mph is 60 mph, do not care what you ride or drive, by federal law it should at best be only 1 to 2 mph +\-, so in my case and yours, i am racking up more miles on the speedo than the bike has traveled, also if you get stoped for speeding, have fast are you actuly going? i am doing everything i can to get this fixed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I agree.

I am a bit anal (get your mind out of the gutter...) and I would very much prefer my speedo to be accurate, but I have been down that same road you are on many bikes ago and much like you are finding I was never able to get it factory repaired and grew tired of the effort.

So basically my laziness won~;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Funk...
every bike I've had has had the speedo off by 3 or 5 mph. All research I did led me to believe that getting the manufacturer/dealer was not really possible. If you have an electronic speedo, there are electronic devices that will allow you to adjust you indicated speed. Otherwise, research getting slightly larger height tires to also attempt to correct the speed error.
johnb

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Yamaha, if greater than 10% off; they'll fix it. All the bikes I've owned have read fast. Even the $18,000 09 max was 6.2% fast; put a speed-o-healer on it. Can't do that with the 650, like said before, just a taller tire. Also, your MPG is less than what you calculate from the speedo reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts