On the hwy. I'm wondering about handling,
weight difference, power etc.. I mainly ride
Solo but the times I've had a passenger on the
Back of 1100 it felt under powered

I'm currently riding an 09 1100 vstar &
I'm looking at an 07 roadstar for $7,000(low km-Canada
Bike). I couldn't take it out for a test ride today but
Will try soon. Was looking at Harley Roadkings
But you need $15,000 in Canada for a decent used one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ride an 09 FI bike. All the power I need.
I don't think you will be disappointed.
The Road Star is a torque monster :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Road star is fine on the highway 1 up or 2 up. I find it one of the easiest handling bikes I have owned. Other than maybe physically pushing the bike it handles just as easy as a Suzuki C50 that I had 3 bikes ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
V-Star 1100 to RoadStar 1700

About 7 years ago, I bought a used '04 Yamaha V-Star 1100cc Classic. Liked it but had originally wanted a RoadStar. Rode the V-Star for about 3 years and found a used '05 RoadStar. Long story short; talked my wife into taking the V-Star and bought the RoadStar with a mere 4000 miles on the Roadie. Exchanged cash for title, registered, etc and went immediately to my local Yamaha shop. Had the full workover. Assured that I had made a great buy. When I picked it up, the traffic along the Interstate 35 access road was busy and moving fairly quickly. I saw an opening and goosed the Roadie's right handgrip to "rapidly merge" into the flow. EXCEPT... I goosed it the amount I was used to goosing the V-Star. The raw power difference between the V-Star and RoadStar engines got my full attention and put me on notice to respect the Roadie!! I have not regretted the upgrade for one minute. My RoadStar Midnite Edition is a dream to ride with her long legs and powerful strut down the road. Love it!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Went from an 02' Vstar 650 to a 06' Road Star zero regrets. This bike is so smooth and easy to handle you will not believe it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in the same rowboat. My issue is peer pressure from all of the HOG members here. Everyone kids me about getting a 'Real' bike. Doesn't help that my brother owns a Heritage now after 4 metrics.
I test rode an Ultra and found the ergonomics too cramped compared to the stretched out comfort of the 1300 and the Nomad. I have been looking at the new Indian, Victory Cross Country and the Vulcan 1700. Then the Road Star popped up as a viable alternative so now I have been reviewing these too. My main concern is comfort and fuel mileage. While the 1300T gets between 45 - 50 mpg the Nomad is a miserable 39 - 44. That's with an engine 20 hp lower.
My brother had the Vulcan Nomad 1700 and as long as he was moving it was great. Problem is you have to stop sometime and that's where gravity took over. Bike is too top heavy and weighs in at over 800 lbs as well as seat height somewhere in the Empire State bldg.
One of my colleagues at work had a 2005 Road Star and he loved the bike. Never had any problems and he's short like me.
I guess I really need to test ride one to see if it's the right fit. I do a lot of cross country riding so I need long gears and great gas mileage especially out in west Texas. Of course pricing doesn't hurt either. I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star. Looks like the perfect platform for a touring edition.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm in the same rowboat. My issue is peer pressure from all of the HOG members here. Everyone kids me about getting a 'Real' bike. Doesn't help that my brother owns a Heritage now after 4 metrics.
I test rode an Ultra and found the ergonomics too cramped compared to the stretched out comfort of the 1300 and the Nomad. I have been looking at the new Indian, Victory Cross Country and the Vulcan 1700. Then the Road Star popped up as a viable alternative so now I have been reviewing these too. My main concern is comfort and fuel mileage. While the 1300T gets between 45 - 50 mpg the Nomad is a miserable 39 - 44. That's with an engine 20 hp lower.
My brother had the Vulcan Nomad 1700 and as long as he was moving it was great. Problem is you have to stop sometime and that's where gravity took over. Bike is too top heavy and weighs in at over 800 lbs as well as seat height somewhere in the Empire State bldg.
One of my colleagues at work had a 2005 Road Star and he loved the bike. Never had any problems and he's short like me.
I guess I really need to test ride one to see if it's the right fit. I do a lot of cross country riding so I need long gears and great gas mileage especially out in west Texas. Of course pricing doesn't hurt either. I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star. Looks like the perfect platform for a touring edition.
You are gonna be in that "miserable" gas mileage range as I get right in that area 39-46 never better. As for the rest of the stuff the Roadie will out do just about every other bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can deal with low 40s. My friend just got a kawasaki dresser and he's not happy with his mileage. Mid 30s and he traded in his Road Star for that tank. He misses the power of the RS.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can deal with low 40s. My friend just got a kawasaki dresser and he's not happy with his mileage. Mid 30s and he traded in his Road Star for that tank. He misses the power of the RS.
Is that the Vaquero? I like the looks of that bike. Never rode one and Damn sure would not trade the Roadie for it. But looks nice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would have to dress it out with a Tour Pack and Fairing to make it a touring bike. I don't understand why Yamaha would dress up a 1300 but not the Road Star.
Lots of people dress the heck out the Roadstar, and it's commonly referred to as an Ultrastar. You're looking at maybe $2000 for top of the line trunk, hardbags and fairing.

Mine has entry level options of all those things, but I think you'd still have to refer to it as a bagger. I might like better accessories one day, but I'm extremely happy. I get 44-46 mpg typically, but on extended country cruises I have hit 52mpg multiple times.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dressed up my V-star 1300T with a tour trunk, Engine guard covers, ULtimate seats and passenger floorboards. I took the covers off the saddlebags and painted them to match the bike. Unfortunately these are cheap plastic so after a bit I start getting hairline fractures in the paint on the lids.
I recently returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Albuquerque and realized that my 1300 runs just fine at 75/80 and if I could just get the RPM's down a bit more then this would be the perfect bike for me. I discovered a low cost fix by changing out the front 30T pulley with a 31T pulley which will change my ration from 2.33 to 2.25. Not a lot but good enough to drop about 400 RPM at highway speeds. The more radical approach is to change the rear pulley to a 65T but that involves changing the belt also. That would drop my ration to 2.16 which is perfect for cross country touring.
I noticed the 2015 V-star 1300 Deluxe is now for sale and they have the Raven colored base model. This would allow me to install my HD tour-Pak which has brake/turn signal lights and is much larger than the current trunk I have now. I can also swap my seats and floor board over as well as my lowers and chaps.

Now I just have to find me MONEY!:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dressed up my V-star 1300T with a tour trunk, Engine guard covers, ULtimate seats and passenger floorboards. I took the covers off the saddlebags and painted them to match the bike. Unfortunately these are cheap plastic so after a bit I start getting hairline fractures in the paint on the lids.
I recently returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Albuquerque and realized that my 1300 runs just fine at 75/80 and if I could just get the RPM's down a bit more then this would be the perfect bike for me. I discovered a low cost fix by changing out the front 30T pulley with a 31T pulley which will change my ration from 2.33 to 2.25. Not a lot but good enough to drop about 400 RPM at highway speeds. The more radical approach is to change the rear pulley to a 65T but that involves changing the belt also. That would drop my ration to 2.16 which is perfect for cross country touring.
I noticed the 2015 V-star 1300 Deluxe is now for sale and they have the Raven colored base model. This would allow me to install my HD tour-Pak which has brake/turn signal lights and is much larger than the current trunk I have now. I can also swap my seats and floor board over as well as my lowers and chaps.

Now I just have to find me MONEY!:rolleyes:
If you dont mind my asking, what trunk and mounting system did you use on your 1300T? I've been looking for something similar and cant really find much. I would also be interested in more info on the pulley swap out you did and how dificult it is to do? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I jumped from a Sportster 1200C to the 06 1700.
Best thing I ever did. Yeah, my Harley friends thought I was crazy, but this thins runs....and runs.....I have to watch because it will run 70-80 and its soooo smooth, you'll hardly notice.
The only thing I wish Star/Yamaha would do it do the dealer shirts like Harley does....proud to be a Star Rider!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I jumped from a Sportster 1200C to the 06 1700.
Best thing I ever did. Yeah, my Harley friends thought I was crazy, but this thins runs....and runs.....I have to watch because it will run 70-80 and its soooo smooth, you'll hardly notice.
The only thing I wish Star/Yamaha would do it do the dealer shirts like Harley does....proud to be a Star Rider!!
You can order them from some of the bigger dealers on line. Starcitypowersports.com
powersports360.com
and
rockriverpowersports.com
have a good selection of shirts and they will ship.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Anyone make the move from a vstar 1100
To a Roadstar 1700? I like the 1100 except
On the hwy. I'm wondering about handling,
weight difference, power etc.. I mainly ride
Solo but the times I've had a passenger on the
Back of 1100 it felt under powered

I'm currently riding an 09 1100 vstar &
I'm looking at an 07 roadstar for $7,000(low km-Canada
Bike). I couldn't take it out for a test ride today but
Will try soon. Was looking at Harley Roadkings
But you need $15,000 in Canada for a decent used one.
Yes and Yes. I never touched my 1100 again except once after I bought my roadstar and it was just sad watching it sit in the garage. So I traded a friend for another project he had that wasn't going anywhere and he rides the 1100 all day. I loved my 1100 but I love my roadstar 100% more. The size fits me better 6'5" the bike feels smoother in everything. The belt is a huge plus over maintenance on the shaft drive. And did I mention the power... O yes the power. Now just a heads up get an ignition module to get rid of the 4k rev limit on the stock setup and go to 5 on any roady period its an all new bike at that point.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I took the back rest off, I swapped in a piece of bar stock, drilled & tapped metric thread to mount into the slot. The box came with mounting brackets that I bent & welded to fit the bar stock. There's 3" of bar stock above the slot that the bracing is welded to. If I had to do it again I'd cut the stock flush with the top & bend bracket to bolt in from the side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 2003 V Star 1100 . I put a lot of money into the engine to bring out the power the Japanese intended it to have. I dressed it up vintage ,but kept it lean . No saddlebags , windshield or any of the bells and whistles. It looked like an old panhead. It was fast from the start , but , and a big BUT, it sucked on the freeway . It was not a true cruiser. It rev'ed high , like close to blowing a head gasket high . I purchased a 2005 Road Star Silverado 1700 from a rich dude that put tons of money into the engine , It had everything I was going to put into it . It hits 70 mph and reads low Rpm on the Baron tach . Engine was way bigger than my 103 ci Harley ! A lot of people who say they have no probs with Harley probably ride a few miles a week. I rode mine hard , all three that I owned , 365 days a year. And guess what , My Road Star handles my abuse like some sick perv . My road star is my workhorse and my HD's are for looks. Aaaaammmmeeernnn

·
Registered
85 Posts
I personally prefer a shield over a fairing. I also would have no use for a radio since with my hearing and a helmet I wouldn`t hear it anyway over the engine wind and road noise. I also have a new set of Hardbags they look good could be a bit more roomier though. I got the Viking LAM 100P bags and they seem well built . I initially used the stock mounting brackets but had a hard time getting clearance on the belt guard . I use different brackets and raised the bags a little and they work fine now.I see no benefits in getting a Harley. While they are a good bike the Road Star has been around since 99 I believe and there are many owners with well over 100k miles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love Harley's , but you have to be a mechanic to own one. I have alway done my own work. And they are way easier to work on than V Stars and Road Stars. On a Harley you don't replace bad parts with the same bad part. Aftermarket upgraded parts are made to solve certain issues. The same goes for the Stars . I make Harley aftermarket parts for a living . Which is good for my ride. It keep my ride on the road longer. My Road Star is the horse I ride all day . And my Harley's , which I love with all my heart, are for around the city. If I take them on a long ride, I'll be giving them a real good look over the night before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts