Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
--

Sure sounds like I shouldn't have much issue with my bike. Doub't I'll be 100,000 in another 3 years though. :whistle: I note that he only changed his oil every 9-10,000 miles. More like what I do if I'm on a 9,000 miler around the country. I note that he didn't say anything about the 16,000 mile ripoff service. I wonder if that's really necessary. Costs a bundle.

--

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--

Sure sounds like I shouldn't have much issue with my bike. Doub't I'll be 100,000 in another 3 years though. :whistle: I note that he only changed his oil every 9-10,000 miles. More like what I do if I'm on a 9,000 miler around the country. I note that he didn't say anything about the 16,000 mile ripoff service. I wonder if that's really necessary. Costs a bundle.

--

I believe he said in one of his videos that he checked the valves at 50k and they were spot on. Also stated that he would run regular gas with no problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe he said in one of his videos that he checked the valves at 50k and they were spot on. Also stated that he would run regular gas with no problems.
--

He did, but every 16,000 there is a service note to check over a whole list of things including the swingarm bearing, plugs and many contact points. Quotes I got from dealers were all between $1,200. and $1,800. I got the amount down to $1,300. plus parts. Fine if you know and can do it all, but I'm afraid I can't.

I'm surprised on the regular gas statement. I think I'll ask around on that. It sure would be nice.

--

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I listened carefully but did not hear the “regular gas” statement.
Regardless, the abuse he’s put this bike through and yet it still remains reliable is a testament to this bike. I think it shuts down all the “naysayers” who have no real riding experience with this bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was not in the review. He mentioned it in a post on facebook on the owner forum.

·
Registered
140 Posts
--

I'm sure he said somewhere in the video that he used regular. Said Yamaha wasn't pleased, but did anyway.

--

·
Registered
140 Posts
--

I'm just saying that if I hadn't heard him say it, I don't know why I would have thought so. I was surprised when he said it and included the part that Yamaha wasn't happy with that, or something. I know I didn't read that. I have only used 91 octane when I could get it for my bike. Sure would like to use 87.

--

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice to see LongHaul having success. That guy has a titanium rear end. For my part, I could not be happier with the SVTC. It has exceeded my expectations, substantially, at the 5k+ mark. On top of which, due to its comfort and crazy-good two- up handling, I went from having a spouse who wanted nothing to do with riding to one who has a “where are we going this weekend?” attitude.

As I did with the Roadliner, I’ll fork over the dough for the 16k maintenance at the dealer, then I’ll count it good till I keel over or am forced to reckon otherwise. I figure if the valves are good at 16k, they’re likely good, along with everything else.

Personally, I always fill with 93 or 91 if possible. The couple of bucks difference ain’t worth it to me. Of course, LHP is putting on ridiculous miles, so I get it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice to see LongHaul having success. That guy has a titanium rear end. For my part, I could not be happier with the SVTC. It has exceeded my expectations, substantially, at the 5k+ mark. On top of which, due to its comfort and crazy-good two- up handling, I went from having a spouse who wanted nothing to do with riding to one who has a “where are we going this weekend?” attitude.

As I did with the Roadliner, I’ll fork over the dough for the 16k maintenance at the dealer, then I’ll count it good till I keel over or am forced to reckon otherwise. I figure if the valves are good at 16k, they’re likely good, along with everything else.

Personally, I always fill with 93 or 91 if possible. The couple of bucks difference ain’t worth it to me. Of course, LHP is putting on ridiculous miles, so I get it...
I will be taking the SVTC in this weekend for the 16k service but I had already called the shop and having them do a modified service and only perform an inspection on the other things. So I am only having them do the valve check and spark plug change. I have the bike that blew the motor at about 7k one year back so I will have this service done and then only as necessary will I bring it in. All this I can do on my own but just don't have the time or have a good feeling about taking things apart that are not broken or having an issue.
Also the bike need to have the headset plug at the tank replaced under warranty because the plug cover broke off and Yamaha is going to cover it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts