Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike just after Christmas in Chicagoland. It has 93 octane in it for the winter storage from the PO. I rode it a few days then surrenderd to the cold and put it away. I topped up the tank with just less than 2 gal of 100LL (low lead) but still leadded fuel, and some Seafoam. I have stock pipes. The Yamaha owners manual cautions not to use leaded fuel as it man damage not only the cat, but also rings, pistons, and valves.

Should I just run the 50/50 mixture or dump it out and use 100% unleaded with the ethonal that we get here? Aviation fuel stores for a very long time, thus I thought that I was being smart.

Thanks,
larry
05 650 V-Star

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I wouldn't burn avgas in that bike or any other star bike. The OEM calls for regular gas at an octane rating of 89. There's still to much lead in avgas and damage to your engine will occur. These engine aren't built to burn this high an octane. I would dump it and fill the tank with regular and the seafoam.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with Corsair in the most part. I wouldn't store any motor with seafoam in the tank, it hardens the seal and any rubber components. best to use a fuel stabilizer. I personally use Stabil, but many other brands are available.

·
Registered
424 Posts
High octane won't hurt it. Seafoam won't help it. The lead in the 100LL avgas will kill your cat converters, whether you care or not, although it might take more than one tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts