Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I have a 2007 VStar 1100 custom. Currently has original tires Dunlop (circa 2007, bought bike that has been sitting in garage with 51 miles on odo). So far, have just done a few 1 exit runs on freeway, and got it to 75 mph for a mile run or so, but mostly been driving in the 45 mph range as 13 year old tires are a bad idea (tires do look okay, no cracks or creases - the salubrious San Francisco Bay area weather, plus the fact it was sitting indoors has preserved the tires and the bike very well).

Based on searching this site - and tire recommendations and reviews on the web, I am thinking of giving Shinko 777 a shot. However, the recommended size (110/90-18) does not seem to be available. The rear size is available.

Can I use alternate size tires ?

I think rim width is 3 inch - so as per Tire/Wheel Fitment - 120/90-18 or 120/70-18 or 110/80-18 would probably fit.

Also, what about using different tires (make/model) on front and back - okay Idea or not. I was thinking I will go with Shinko 777 in the rear, and Michelin Commander II in front.
Any thoughts ?

Thank you.

Manish

·
Super Moderator
7,531 Posts
I just changed out the tires on my RoadStar. Went with Shinkos 777 HD both front and rear. On the front just make sure you’re not going too wide. On the back I went to a 180 instead of a factory 150 with no issues. Just my.02 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
635 Posts
110/80 will lower the front 11 mm and probably go unnoticed steering wise from the stock 110/90 since the slight reduction in rake/trail are likely to compensate for the slightly flatter profile. Expect scraping to happen sooner during cornering. A 120/90 will raise the front end 9 mm and the wider tire and slight increase in rake/trail should give a little more grip for heavy braking and slow down steering a little. You will gain a little cornering clearance - the difference between a 120/90 and a 110/80 will be readily noticeable if you are used to scrape your pegs.

Note: This is in theory where everything else is the same, meaning same tire in the various dimension correct to their designation. Some 110/80 tires can be taller than some 110/90 tires, and some 120/90 tires can be as narrow and low as some 110/90 tires. The difference can also be bigger than anticipated if for instance the 110/90 is smaller than the nomenclature and the 120/90 larger. And so on.

I would not recommend a 120/70 because the profile is unlikely to work well with the rear tire suited for your bike, and it will theoretically drop the front 15mm from stock. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ok, here is a comparison of 2 different tire faffi mention and the comparison calculator you can use to check other sizes, just use the compare tab.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
635 Posts
Just remember that the actual difference for the bike is half the total height difference ;) (Bike only knows the radius from the axle to the ground when it comes to ride height. Centripetal forces, OTOH, is influenced by the diameter as well as the mass and placement of the mass will affect stability and handling, but that rarely matter on cruisers, at least not compared to sport bike on a track).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts