Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided it is time for an aftermarket exhaust after being cut off at a light this afternoon. Stocks are too quiet.

So, having been looking for awhile now, I have narrowed it down to Cobra's speedster slashdowns and the classic deluxe slashcuts and V&H's classic IIs. Can anybody answer a few basic questions for me.

First, what are the differences between straights versus the tapered 3 1/2 inch pipes? Sound-wise (listened online, but nothing like being there live)? Performance-wise? Warrantee-wise? Emission-wise? I have heard rumors about California (where I am) requiring emissions testing.

Of the 3, recommendations? I don't want to tick off neighbors too badly...

Second, what air intake is recommended? And jet kit? Will the jet kit need to be paired with the particular exhaust system?

I am relatively new to riding (April 2009), but handy on engines. With all the instructions I've seen, I plan to do the job myself. Any quick advice in advance that I should get that you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 06 1100 and i have fitted v&h classic 2's. The sound is great, loud but not too loud. I didnt have to do a thing to the bike, like rejet or disable the ais. Its doesnt back fire on over run at all. These are great pipes and easy to fit as they are slip-on's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm assuming the V&H pipes weren't directed enough so as to avoid dropping the front one when changing the oil. Or were V&H thinking ahead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With 1100 Frt Pipe Has To Come Off Oem Or A/m Exhaust Only Other Way Is With Remote Filter Adaptor That In Stall In About 20 Minute. Roughly 200.00 To 400.00 For Bolt On Kit, Try Looking At Dennis Kirk.com For Pricing. Adaptor Come With Chrome Mtg For Spin On Fitler And Steel Braided Lines, Its Looks Good And Saved A Lot Of Time If You Change Oil Your Self

·
Registered
7 Posts
I moddified my stock muffelers on my 650 classic after i got ran off the road, and now there LOUD. I found the diagram for free on another forum and it was easy and only cost about $35. it only took me about 1 1/2 hours and now i got down pipes that sounds better than any aftermarket exaust i'v heard yet on a 650. The hardest part was finding a machine shop to cut the mufflers on the cheap ($30). I'd give you the link but i lost it when i got my new computer. you could try searching Yamaha 650 v-star owner forums, thats how i found it. if not it's real simpple: you have the muffllers cut where they start to cone down at a 45deg angle. Then you clean up the edges with a dremmel, then you go inside with a dremmel and cut off the final exaust pipe and the 2nd baffle directonal pipe flush with the 2nd baffle wall. i chose to take an extra srep and panted the inside of the axaust with an aluminum hi temp eng namel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also found a way to moddify the stock air intake on my 1100 into a Ram Air intake for about $25. I have'nt done it yet so i cant give you any feed on. heres the link :
vstar.brazilmisson.net

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also found a way to moddify the stock air intake on my 1100 into a Ram Air intake for about $25. I have'nt done it yet so i cant give you any feed on. heres the link :
vstar.brazilmisson.net
Thanks for the link AxisModer!

I have been contemplating doing the same thing myself...but heck for 20 bucks with a guarantee I think this is the way to go...

Please let us know when you do the mod and leave some feedback.

Thanks,

PaPaGrizz

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 08 1100 Silverado and just installed Cobra slash cut slip on's for $289. They are a perfect solution for a reasonable amount of cash. Sound good, will not turn blue and have baffles that are not replaceable and offer enough back preassure that re-jetting isnt required in most cases unless you are in an extreme =/- sea level area. An air kit isnt needed to compliment this exhaust and install is 15 minutes for anyone who can hold a wrench.

·
Registered
410 Posts
pipes & intake

Hi all, I have an 06 1100, I put the Shogun Ripsaw pipes on ( did I mention the exhaust is loud) and the Maxair Predetor intake system. Gained almost 15hp and still ge 40+ mpg. A friend went with the Cobra 2into1 pipes and the Maxair He love the setup.
Enjoy the ride and good luck however you go.
Doug

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Has anyone dealt with BikerBrackets, they used to do ex mods for vstars, don't know if they still do, saw and heard a set they done, looked good, sounded fine, no re-jet. Got rid of the stock whimpy sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
According to the BikerBrackets website, "Our apologies...Grizzly Bear Exhaust modifications have been discontinued and are no longer available." Too bad, their testimonials impressed me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 09 1100 classic and I installed cobra pipes on it...the sound is pretty loud but I wanted that...it wasnt that expensive...they look great...

·
Registered
249 Posts
anyone tried the following cost effective mods: exhaust, air intake, seat on vstar 1100 custom

anyone tried this exhaust mod for stock exhaust, i saw on ebay for 135.00 the customer feedback they show is good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...msxZ20090928?IMSfp=TL0909281510005r12156#shId

also, what about this air intake mod for 25. 00, may be same as one mentioned by another post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-ST...X&its=C%2BS&itu=SI%2BUA%2BLM%2BLA&otn=2&ps=63

also, i had seen a seat mod that i was considering , anyone tried thefollowing;
http://www.meancitycycles.com/motorcycle_seat_modifications.php

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, just got my V&H Classic 2's on my 2004 Vstar 1100.. All i can say is what an improvement. The sound, throttle response and overall performance is an A+!! I took it straight to Vance and Hines and let them do everything. Its only got 3000 miles on it. They told me not to do the Jet Kit and K&N filter until I go in again for my oil change and valve check at 5000 miles. I cant wait to see how it turns out after those last mods! I will keep ya posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All, just got my V&H Classic 2's on my 2004 Vstar 1100.. All i can say is what an improvement. The sound, throttle response and overall performance is an A+!! I took it straight to Vance and Hines and let them do everything. Its only got 3000 miles on it. They told me not to do the Jet Kit and K&N filter until I go in again for my oil change and valve check at 5000 miles. I cant wait to see how it turns out after those last mods! I will keep ya posted.
Did V&H tell you the Jet Kit was absolutely needed or that it would just further improve your bike's performance? Most comments I've read from people said they did not purchase a Jet Kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did V&H tell you the Jet Kit was absolutely needed or that it would just further improve your bike's performance? Most comments I've read from people said they did not purchase a Jet Kit.
Hi Steve, it will just further improve all around but not needed. Thats what they told me. They said that the next step was to Open up the airbox. Therefore the proper jetting and the K&N filter is needed for overall performance gains. Thats my goal for now. But the bike doesnt need nothing at all, it runs great and sounds good.

PG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad that V&H's recommendation was consistent with what others have said. Best of luck with the bike & its new setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you know if these pipes will fit a 2009 1100 and I am curious why they say wait for the air and jet upgrade until 5000m service.

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts