Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is will a 1100 motor fit in a 650 frame? Does any body know what the difference is in both those bikes besides the engine size,lettering,color ect. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looking at manuals/dimensions for both bikes i will say YES! It should fit. Just rotate 1100 engine 90 degrees and tilt forward approximatealy 40 - 60 degrees and it should slide ride in

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looking at finding a chassis for the 920 Virago engine and it SEEMS that it would fit well in the 650 frame thanks to the 650's "dummy heads".

I just did a side by side comparison and measurements and haven't actually tried the swap yet, but I see no reason it shouldn't.

Now for what difference there would be in height of the 920 and the 1100 I don't know. I know they're both of the same blood.

For reference of anyone curious, the 920 DOES have the lower front mount location even though it's not used on the Virago.

Frank

·
Registered
545 Posts
Having had both, I don't see any way. Just sitting on the 1100, it is noticably bigger than the 650. The engine is higher, longer and wider.

Can't see it.....

·
Administrator
15,055 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at finding a chassis for the 920 Virago engine and it SEEMS that it would fit well in the 650 frame thanks to the 650's "dummy heads".

I just did a side by side comparison and measurements and haven't actually tried the swap yet, but I see no reason it shouldn't.

Now for what difference there would be in height of the 920 and the 1100 I don't know. I know they're both of the same blood.

For reference of anyone curious, the 920 DOES have the lower front mount location even though it's not used on the Virago.

Frank
Im a pipe welder/ fabricator would i have to worry about any other wiring or any oddball things?

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Oxweld, This a 10 year old thread. I see this is your first post. Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. If you post in New Member Introductions we could get to know you better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this post is pretty old so I was wondering if anyone ever actually attempted putting a more powerful motor in the v star 650 frame?
I just got a 2000 v star 650 and I like it but when I get to about 60mph it just feels like it needs another gear lol.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,088 Posts
It can be done, two totally different frames so it would be a major swap. Rear drive is different, so major work would need to be done. Normally the expense is not worth doing it. Too many 1100s out there you can pick up really cheap. With that said, I've taken a 900 and 1100 and put in a Honda 750 frame. Had to weld new motor mounts on, chain drive made it easy.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I see this post is pretty old so I was wondering if anyone ever actually attempted putting a more powerful motor in the v star 650 frame?
I just got a 2000 v star 650 and I like it but when I get to about 60mph it just feels like it needs another gear lol.
The 1100 is the same way. As much as they look the same they are totally different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts