Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Having a small issue with my 2006 1100 Silverado.

Was riding along the other day and looked down at my speedo, and noticed the engine trouble light was on. Immediately pulled over. Shut the engine off and turned the key back on. No blinking. Light came on for a second, then went out - Standard stuff. Started up again, no problems so I rode off. A minute later, the light is back on.

I could not detect any change in feel or behavior of the bike. It will not give me a trouble code, simply lights a minute after starting to ride, and that's it. Also, I let it sit and idle for 10 minutes and no light. Only comes on while rolling. Having said that, one of the faults is regarding the TPS and it doesn't give a code but mentions if the light stays on, that indicates a stuck condition. Im not sure what this means so am looking for a little direction.

Has anybody experienced this

Thanks

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
That's a new one. Interesting that it will not give a code, which leaves me to believe it's a bulb issue since no noticeable issues. Once someone had a simular issues and was caused be a bare wire going to light under gas tank. If you were having TPS issues the light should stay on. Keep us informed if issue continues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem 2009 V Star 650

Same problem, same symptoms. I don't think my old bike has the "flash to code" system; just a light when something is wrong. Performance isn't affected and the light will go away with a shut down and restart only to come on again shortly after pulling out on the road and gettin' some speed (50+ mph). Speedo works fine. I tore into it last night and checked the TPS. It reads within specs. Searched all over the interwebs and almost every page says it should flash a code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
from an engineering perspective this is one of the problems with built-in-self test systems

you want the built in self test because nearly everything fails eventually

sometimes the built in self test system itself fails and gives a false failure indication

on some vehicles it will shut the whole machine down, rendering it useless, because the "watcher" lost its mind.

at least that is not the case with your bike - it still runs

put a piece of electrical tape over the light :^)

·
Registered
5 Posts
GOOD NEWS! Dave Star, you might wanna look into this. I fixed it! Getting frustrated with the whole thing, I just went back out to the garage to start ripping it apart again and found a broken wire under the speedo. I'd seen it before and thought it just was a speedo illumination wire. Well, I figured while I was there, I'd reattach the wire. Then I thought, I wander if it could be that simple? Let's put the speedo back on and go for a ride. Well, that did it - NO LIGHT! The wire was white with a green stripe and attached all by itself to the back of the housing. It looks like it screws right into the plastic but, apparently, there's a connection in there that can't been seen from the outside. I'm not gonna bother looking up the scsmat to see what the wire does; I don't think I care. It's just silly that a broken wire could cause such an issue and there be no other help out there. Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.

Thanks for hosting. I'll come back when I have some time to poke around (and maybe do some mods on the bike).

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GOOD NEWS! Dave Star, you might wanna look into this. I fixed it! Getting frustrated with the whole thing, I just went back out to the garage to start ripping it apart again and found a broken wire under the speedo. I'd seen it before and thought it just was a speedo illumination wire. Well, I figured while I was there, I'd reattach the wire. Then I thought, I wander if it could be that simple? Let's put the speedo back on and go for a ride. Well, that did it - NO LIGHT! The wire was white with a green stripe and attached all by itself to the back of the housing. It looks like it screws right into the plastic but, apparently, there's a connection in there that can't been seen from the outside. I'm not gonna bother looking up the scsmat to see what the wire does; I don't think I care. It's just silly that a broken wire could cause such an issue and there be no other help out there. Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.

Thanks for hosting. I'll come back when I have some time to poke around (and maybe do some mods on the bike).

That is awesome you just made us all a little smarter, I'll go ask our bosses for a raise.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Once someone had a simular issues and was caused be a bare wire going to light under gas tank.
Pretty cool that an old post helped. Glad it's fixed. Niw get some wind therapy.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
That is awesome you just made us all a little smarter, I'll go ask our bosses for a raise.
no no no! dont do that!

The laws of physics prove the LESS you know the MORE money you make:

This is supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:
1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

As every engineer knows: Power = Work / Time

Since: Knowledge = Power, and Time = Money, then Knowledge = Work / Money

Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

Conclusion: The less you know, the more you make.

the simple way to grasp this is: if you dont know what you are doing it will take you longer to do it - and since you are paid by the hour.... you get paid more for doing very little actual work

·
Registered
502 Posts
no no no! dont do that!

The laws of physics proves the LESS you know the MORE money you make:

This is supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:
1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

the simple way to grasp this is: if you dont know what you are doing it will take you longer to do it - and since you are paid by the hour.... you get paid more for doing very little actual work

Man o man this new math stuff is confusing.....I need to light some incense to understand all of this....maybe sit outside for awhile and stare at the sun...this is just too deep for a Wednesday.:nerd:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks goscootergo, I am going to try and pull my tank off tonight and look around. Definitely something going on as my speedometer doesn't register anything and my odometer is not advancing. However, my signal, neutral oil and check engine lights all work.

Certainly pointing to electrical issue. No biggie, need to pull the tank and all to sync the carbs, so may as well do it all in 1 shot

Thanks

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
...my speedometer doesn't register anything and my odometer is not advancing. .

the speedo and odo on the 650 are mechanical

there is a spinning cable from the front wheel. Often it just comes unscrewed on the bottom of the speedo under the gas tank. I think if you take the allen screws out of the chrome speedo unit you can lift it up and reach the top of the cable.

If it was not unscrewed try to turn the little square end in the cable with your fingers. If you can turn it then its broken in the middle or not connected at the front wheel.

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
KCW, he has an 1100, speedometer and odometer are electronically controlled.

Dave-Star, when you take take off the tank, wires are going to be running right under tank. Take connection loose, clean and put some dielectric grease in there. My speedometer quit once and there was corrosion in socket. Report back if it works after that. The next place to check is the speed sensor. Let me know if you testing and replacing assistance on speed sensor, I've also had to do that once. It's pretty easy but sensor was pretty expensive, close to $100.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
oh... Dave needs to update his signature and garage...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh... Dave needs to update his signature and garage...
Just did the Signature, don't know about a garage, but the signature covers it.

I will do that with the connector; I've had it off a few times over the summer for various reasons. I'll let you know what I find.

Where is the speed sensor?

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,499 Posts
Where is the speed sensor?
Right side, sits by fuel pump. Some times gunk will accumulate on sensor and a simple cleaning is all you need. Speed sensor is number 13.

From manual.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Man o man this new math stuff is confusing.....I need to light some incense to understand all of this....maybe sit outside for awhile and stare at the sun...this is just too deep for a Wednesday.:nerd:
I like to do things efficiently, there is a fine line between efficient and lazy and i like to straddle that line.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
no no no! dont do that!

The laws of physics prove the LESS you know the MORE money you make:

1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

I really don't understand what you are saying but it sure made me LAUGH!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I have more issues, I removed the speed sensor and it has score marks in it and a bunch of metal filings magnetized to it. Also, inside the middle gear, I can see some components that are marked up, like some damage has been done. Is there supposed to be lubrication inside that part of the transmission? It looks very dry in there!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts