Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 1100 with about 30,000 miles on it. I ride conservatively from 45-55 mph on back roads for the most part with occasional days of 70-75 mph for long hours on the interstates. I'm experiencing no problems with the bike at the moment, but am beginning to wonder at what point can I expect it to begin to have those nagging problems with plastic components and electronics that seem to come on with advanced age or ordinary wear and tear? I'm in my 70s and don't relish the thought of buying another bike for my estate to have to deal with, but I'd hate to spend part of my golden years stranded on the roadside waiting for a tow truck. Any thoughts on this? I'd especially appreciate the insight and experience of you high-milers out there. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Plenty of them out there with close to 200,000 miles that are still going strong. You may have to replace a part or two here and there, but with reasonable care the costs should be comparatively minimal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This isn't a high mileage bike but a friend of mine has an 1100 that has not been pampered by any means and he's had no issues with it. Last time I looked it had 14k on it. There's just no way of telling when most things will fail (usually at the worst possible time). I know a guy who rode across the country on his bike with 80+k and had no major problems, this guy did a lot of PM to his, if something was even remotely wrong or he thought it has been on there too long he changed it out. Honestly though, the highest mileage bike Ive ever seen was on a HD ElectraGlide that had 138K that looked and ran like it was new.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A person from a big dealer said that religious PM is what makes bikes last. Do what the manual says and you will get a quarter million or more miles out of it. There is a story of a senator who got 1 million miles out of a Harley, albeit, he's put 11 motors in it. If you follow the manual and do the proper greasing/adjusting/inspecting, etc, (don't forget swing arms, steering bearings, wheel bearings, etc), it will run for a lot of miles. I would also say that with an air cooled engine the oil should be changed a bit more frequently than what the manual says, but that's just me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually with Dave Zien's bike (the former Senator from my town in Wisconsin) He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs.

Oh, and I have 53K on my 06 1100 Silverado and it still runs like new.

·
Registered
417 Posts
We all know that a bike used little and neglected is worse than a bike used often and maintained and serviced. So I wouldn't give up on a bike just for increasing mileage as long as service and maintenance is kept up.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I'm definitely having a problem with my mid shaft nut, I was...oh, wait...you're talking about a part on the motorcycle! Sorry, wrong forum!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
But seriously, bigger engines seem to last longer than smaller ones, water cooled longer than air cooled. As a rule of thumb.

I remember hearing years ago that the old air cooled VW motors were only good for about 100,000 miles, most of them were 1500-1600 cc pushing a 2,000 plus pound car around with less than optimal airflow over the rear mounted engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts