Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1100 new front brake pads (EBC) now noise?

INstalled pads all around today since I was replacing the rear tire. Took it for a spin and man what a diff the tire made BUT now I have a sound coming from the front wheel that sounds similar to a Cicada (bug) when I get above 10mph, and I can gear it on a jack when its in the air as well. Went through the brake calipers again, cleaned pistons and lubed them a tad, lubed the sliders on the caliper and gave the rotors a once over with some 400 grit thinking the holes may be catching the brand new pads. Put it all back together, no luck. No noise at all when the calipers are off and the wheel is spinning. :confused:

if you dont know what a Cicada is then....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Had the same sound when i replaced my pads and was still there after 500 miles. I took the pads back to the dealership and they replaced them with a new set of pads. The new pads they gave me are heavy duty. The one thing i noticed about the pads that made the noise is that they did not have a slot in the center of the pad. My educated guess is that because there was no slot the gasses were building up in the drilled rotors and did not release until the holes passed the plane of the edge of the pad, with the slot in the center of the pad the gasses did not build up as much. I will update when i put on the new pads.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Did you lubricate the backside of the pads? I usually tape mine off and spray with graphite on the backside, never get a squeak. Thats why they always try to shove that little packet of grease at you at Autozone when you buy pads.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Also drilled rotors will usually always make a strange sound compared to non drilled, especially with new pads.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
indeed.. Did a little riding today and its now getting louder when the brakes are applied.

Hope it subsides, I have a "paranoid" ear and very good hearing.. 2 bad things.. LOL.. so, lets not get started on the ticking that has developed as a result of switching to M1 15w50 grrrrrrrr

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
A louder exhaust will cover all of that up!....LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts