Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm British, but living in Spain. I have owned mostly Kawasaki Vulcan 1500's for the last 20 years, but I am now looking to move to a large displacement Yamaha. I cannot decide between the XVS1100 V-Star (known as 'Dragstar' in Europe) or the 1300 V-Star. I'm not sure whether the 1300 is just a larger version of the same engine. I know that the 1100 is a single pin crank, so I assume the 1300 is too. Surprisingly, many people seem to prefer the 1100 over the 1300. I would appreciate any information about the differences between these two models please.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
air cooled
carbs
shaft drive

water cooled
fuel injection
belt drive

I dont know the HP specs for both off the top of my head, but the engine displacement difference is minor compared to the other design aspects of the two machines.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,636 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
1300 all the way, I have ridden Kawasaki 1500-1700 and the Yamaha is faster and handles better. Riding a 1300 Deluxe now, even 2 up has plenty of power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I've never ridden a 1100, I have a 1300 and feel it's the best bike I've ever owned. I chose the 1300 over a 1100 because 1. fuel injected. 2. liquid cooled 3. looks. I like the 2 into 1 exhaust and I like the gauges on the handle bars apposed to being on the tank. I bought my bike in the spring of this year and am very happy with it, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, the 1100 and 1300 are not remotely the same bike or engine. Even the cylinder angle is different. That said, while I've never ridden the 1100, it certainly has its devotees, and I'm sure it's a good bike.
I, on the other hand, have a 1300 and love it. I consider fuel injection, belt drive and water cooling all to be upgrades (though some would disagree) that make the 1300 a better bike, more rideable, more useable, more fuel efficient, more powerful.
And prettier. :) Case in point:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts