Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode to sturgis and back to home here in Kansas. I have a 2000 1100 with 23750 on it. I am a big guy 6'1" at 290 and had 40 lbs of gear on the bike. Was having fun and topped her out at a TOTAL OF 95 mph. :eek: This is my first year riding and my first bike, but I expected to hit 110 or more for top speed.

Is this normal? The bike is running great. It has been jetted for cobra slash cut pipes. Stock on the rest.

What is everybodies top speed on their 1100's? What is wrong if this is not normal? What should the 1100 be getting on top speed?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Found this on the wiki page so it looks like you are within spec:
Basic "Specs" from - 02/2000 Test of 2000 1100 Classic - Courtesy of Motorcycle Consumer News

48.7 HP - Rear Wheel
57.2 lb-ft - Torque - rear Wheeel
685 lb Wet Weight
34.2 Avg MPG
94 MPH top speed
6.53 sec 0 to 60
14.91 sec 0 to 1/4 mile
85.59 mph 0 to 1/4 mile
130.7 ft 60 to 0 mph braking
1:13.51 power to weight ratio
Heavyweight Cruiser
4 out of 5 - overall rating

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got a 2009 Classic with some things added. I've gotten a little over 95 once and it felt like there might be a little more left. But I couldn't figure out why I needed to go that fast on a cruiser. If I felt I needed speed, I would have bought a sport bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If "go fast" is important to you, the 1100 isnt the bike you want. I'd say if you hit 95 with all that gear your bike is running better than average. Just run it....and dont touch it !!

I hit 88 once on my 1100. It had some left but top speed is not important to me at all. I reckon it'll hit 95. But....why bother? If I want "go fast" I'll get a Busa !! Lol !

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's not A high performance bike that being said I've shifted into 5th at 95 on several occasions but sometimes the bike won't top 85 in 5th. Odd huh

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's not A high performance bike that being said I've shifted into 5th at 95 on several occasions but sometimes the bike won't top 85 in 5th. Odd huh
You lost me at "shifted into 5th at 95". Its Just hard for me to buy into that one. That little motor will grenade at that rpm. If it hasnt already.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
LOL.... Your Harley sure would blow up...

but the "little" 1100 is only turning 6000 RPM at 95 in 4th gear....there's still another 2-300 RPM to get to the rev limiter (1000 more if you have a dyna ign box)..... it's easy to do with a properly set up motor and knowing how to ride it.

It also takes somebody that knows how to tune a motorcycle properly.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Just rode to sturgis and back to home here in Kansas. I have a 2000 1100 with 23750 on it. I am a big guy 6'1" at 290 and had 40 lbs of gear on the bike. Was having fun and topped her out at a TOTAL OF 95 mph. :eek: This is my first year riding and my first bike, but I expected to hit 110 or more for top speed.

Is this normal? The bike is running great. It has been jetted for cobra slash cut pipes. Stock on the rest.

What is everybodies top speed on their 1100's? What is wrong if this is not normal? What should the 1100 be getting on top speed?
Don't know, maybe you might look at a crotch rocket?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've shifted into 5th at 95 on several occasions but sometimes the bike won't top 85 in 5th. Odd huh
Top gear is sometimes an overdrive gear. Many vehicles cannot reach top speed (or top RPM) in top gear, there's just not enough power to cut thru the air resistance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Top gear is sometimes an overdrive gear. Many vehicles cannot reach top speed (or top RPM) in top gear, there's just not enough power to cut thru the air resistance.
Yes i was being a smart *** :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hit 108 on mine once...But I also have cams and an extended max RPM, and I also weigh about 100 pounds less than you do...

And also keep in mine the possible speedo error.

I think it's more of a gearing issue versus power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I feel a lot better knowing that this is how she is suppost to run. I don't want speed at all I was just makeing sure she is performing the way she should. My favorite speed is 55 to 60 no more. That is heavon right there, but you have to go faster to do the interstate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2000 V-Star 1100 model bike and have the following accessories: Memphis Shades windscreen, Barons Oil Relocation Kit, Kuryakin Hypercharger, Universal Hard Saddle bags, Passenger floor boards and Back rest. I bought this bike a few years ago as is with about 30k miles on it. I have now over 50k miles. Until now I had now idea what the average MPG was and could remark on the effectiveness of the Hypercharger when folks would ask about it, thank you ERUBY. My current MPG is 51.6 and can now say the Hypercharger has in fact made a difference along with the timely maintenance I perform.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My current MPG is 51.6 and can now say the Hypercharger has in fact made a difference along with the timely maintenance I perform.
I filled up and ran a 102 mile trip. Stopped back at the station so the tank will be full for the next ride. Put 2.1 Gal in the tank to ~ the same fill line. My 1st bike was a 2000 Suzuki Savage - single cylinder 650 thumper. I was getting ~45 MPG with that and that was about average per their forum. When I got my v-twin 1100, I expected to be buying more gas at the pump. Motor-wise, it's pretty much stock. I have just added the Jardine Slip-ons but that should not have done anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I filled up and ran a 102 mile trip. Stopped back at the station so the tank will be full for the next ride. Put 2.1 Gal in the tank to ~ the same fill line. My 1st bike was a 2000 Suzuki Savage - single cylinder 650 thumper. I was getting ~45 MPG with that and that was about average per their forum. When I got my v-twin 1100, I expected to be buying more gas at the pump. Motor-wise, it's pretty much stock. I have just added the Jardine Slip-ons but that should not have done anything.
I had picked up a Savage from my buddy as well when i started to ride. Fun little bike I could not do worse then 60 MPG on that bike and i did not ride nice since it reminded me too much of my old tote goat i had when i was a kid

·
Registered
15 Posts
About the fastest I've taken my 1100 is 85 and that was only to pass someone in order to keep up with some friends I was riding with. Normally I'm in no hurry to get anywhere since I figure that where ever I'm going it's still going to be there no matter when I get there. Also I usually ride with my 12 year old grand daughter and since she is "precious cargo", I would never put in a situation that may increase the already potentially dangerous situation that is motorcycle riding.
"No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Bonsai.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Normally I'm in no hurry to get anywhere since I figure that where ever I'm going it's still going to be there no matter when I get there.
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.
But... If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone.....lol

1 - 20 of 58 Posts