Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought cast wheels from 1100 Classic, and I'm thinking of powder coating them. Now, the curing is done in about 400F, thus it will require complete disassembly of the wheels, including pressed dampers in rear wheel hub. Regarding this, I have couple of questions:
1. How easily (or not) they will come out? Will they come out if I use puller and (try to) pull them off from the bolt, or will the rubber rip off and outer ring stucks in the hub?
2. When pressing dampers back to hub, I guess the height needs to be precise, so that the clutch hub will be straight?
3. I have two clutch hubs, one from the old wheel and one from the new. Are they interchangeable? Or if I take new clutch hub (much less mileage) and use current rear diff, will there be whining and noise when the splines are not matched during usage?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
anytime i removed a bushing like that i ruined it getting it out, i would order new ones then soap them up when pressing them in, just clean the bores really well and they should seat perfectly, then use the lower milage clutch hub , not that the hub will matter much because they are such a good fit that the splines never wear out, there is just no play in those splines to cause wear, you'll need a large socket and a press for the bushings, i doubt they can be tapped in, have fun getting the old ones out, that's going to be the hard part or at least time consuming

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought cast wheels from 1100 Classic, and I'm thinking of powder coating them. Now, the curing is done in about 400F, thus it will require complete disassembly of the wheels, including pressed dampers in rear wheel hub. Regarding this, I have couple of questions:
1. How easily (or not) they will come out? Will they come out if I use puller and (try to) pull them off from the bolt, or will the rubber rip off and outer ring stucks in the hub?
2. When pressing dampers back to hub, I guess the height needs to be precise, so that the clutch hub will be straight?
3. I have two clutch hubs, one from the old wheel and one from the new. Are they interchangeable? Or if I take new clutch hub (much less mileage) and use current rear diff, will there be whining and noise when the splines are not matched during usage?
I know this was from a long time ago but did you have luck getting those dampers out? I am trying to powder coat as well. Any tips?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts