Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was riding my 2002 1100 Silverado today. It was about 60 degrees and the bike was ridden for about 30 minutes. I stopped for a few minutes at the store. I came out and tried to start my bike (No Throttle, No Choke). The motor turns over starts to run then stops and the motor kicks back. It had done this two more times and I had to give just a bit of trottle to start and run. The bike has 18k miles, runs fine and idles nice, although a bit low for my taste. The bike has Cobra Slash cut pipes, rejetted carbs, and blocked AIS. I had put fresh gas, stable additive, keep the battery on a tender and ride when the weather is nice and above 50 degrees. I bought this bike late last fall and only had ridden it a couple of times < 50 miles total. Is it normal for these bikes to be cranky starting every once in awhile? This is my first v-twin bike. TIA Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay. Might have found the problem. There is another v-star forum that states it may be the TSP out of adjustment. They give the adjustment procedures so I'll give that a try soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay. Might have found the problem. There is another v-star forum that states it may be the TSP out of adjustment. They give the adjustment procedures so I'll give that a try soon.
Did adjusting the TPS do the trick..........................

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Some guys also just leave the starter engaged for a few extra seconds until it is fully running. Adding throttle causes a change in the TPS which can cause the engine to kick back. Some times strong enough to damage the one way starter clutch. That's about $450 in parts and about the same for labor if you have a shop fix it for you.

We've played around with this issue for years and still don't have a solid fix. I can tell you that since I put pods on, I've not had the issue. It's not a 100% fix for everyone, but it does seem to help most of the time.

Some feel it may be fuel boiling in the bowls creating a momentary vapor lock, ethanol fuel adding to the situation.

Again, a lot of us feel that if you leave the starter engaged a few extra seconds until the bike is clearly running (which can take 30-40 seconds) you may just solve the problem.

Let us know if your TPS was off and if it helped. That can also be an issue, but in my experience they are seldom out of spec.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What is a TPS and where is the forum to adjust it?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some guys also just leave the starter engaged for a few extra seconds until it is fully running. Adding throttle causes a change in the TPS which can cause the engine to kick back. Some times strong enough to damage the one way starter clutch. That's about $450 in parts and about the same for labor if you have a shop fix it for you.

We've played around with this issue for years and still don't have a solid fix. I can tell you that since I put pods on, I've not had the issue. It's not a 100% fix for everyone, but it does seem to help most of the time.

Some feel it may be fuel boiling in the bowls creating a momentary vapor lock, ethanol fuel adding to the situation.

Again, a lot of us feel that if you leave the starter engaged a few extra seconds until the bike is clearly running (which can take 30-40 seconds) you may just solve the problem.

Let us know if your TPS was off and if it helped. That can also be an issue, but in my experience they are seldom out of spec.
Hey there,
I know this is a very old thread, but i'm on the way to do a TPS adjustment, since the bike had this problem since i bought it late last summer.
A good 'ol "clunk" when i stop the engine and hard to start when it is warm, after small coffee stops or just a stop by the road.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-KrKk_YXL4TRk1vU3lkaW9zM0U/edit

I see u wrote "leave the starter engaged a few extra seconds".
U mean hold it in even when the engine has fired up?

Is there any other things i should consider looking at before i go buy self a OHM meter, and start to fiddle around the TPS adjustment?
Are the starter clutch on the way to die?
i just uploaded a video with the sound i hear...
Is this gonna be expensive?;)
Video: Clunk when killing engine (youtube) The repeat Clunks are edited in so ya'll can hear the clunk without rewind the vid.. it is not engine that makes the repeats ;)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I see u wrote "leave the starter engaged a few extra seconds".
U mean hold it in even when the engine has fired up?
Some times yes for a second or two just to make sure the engine is going to stay running.

2 tools that you really need for working on bikes is a mini tach like the Tiny Tach and a DVOM.

HERE is a link to the 100 wKB with tips on the TPS adjust....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same issue for me and my buddy who also has a star 1100,seems like a common thing on these bikes after a warm restart.A solutions thats been working for us is choke half way,fires right up all the time.Yes I know choke is for cold engines but its not going to harm anything using it on a warm engine just to help it start up,saves wear on the starter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some times yes for a second or two just to make sure the engine is going to stay running.

2 tools that you really need for working on bikes is a mini tach like the Tiny Tach and a DVOM.

HERE is a link to the 100 wKB with tips on the TPS adjust....
Tiny tach looks good. But how to to hook that one up to a motorcycle like the vstar? I could only find Tiny tack for one cylinders, do i just split and add another wire, and roll it around the spark plug wires?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same issue for me and my buddy who also has a star 1100,seems like a common thing on these bikes after a warm restart.A solutions thats been working for us is choke half way,fires right up all the time.Yes I know choke is for cold engines but its not going to harm anything using it on a warm engine just to help it start up,saves wear on the starter.
Well, i'm a little calmer now. Not afraid the starter going to take a night nighty :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I agree. Using bout half choke works for me also on warm engine start. After running for a few seconds I turn choke back off and it runs fine. Doesn't do it all the time but when it does the half choke does the trick without having to use throttle. Have never had kickback yet using this method.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are having to choke on a warm restart. What are you doing? You are adding extra fuel. These bikes and most bikes in general are too. Richen up your mixture a tad by increasing your pm by 1/4 -1/2 turn out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That is one way to look at it... The other way is lean all the time except for starting = increased Temps = shorter bike life...

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That is one way to look at it... The other way is lean all the time except for starting = increased Temps = shorter bike life...
I'm with you.... I like my air cooled bikes to be a little on the rich side for that reason too. Proper tuning is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm with you.... I like my air cooled bikes to be a little on the rich side for that reason too. Proper tuning is the way to go.
curious how do you set it rich,with the pms?.....if you can turn pms in or out to get plugs either light or dark how much would you turn pms past ideal setting.could one quarter turn towards lean cause a dangerous condition?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The PMS (Primary Mixture Screw) is used to trim the fuel for the idle circuit. Opening, screw out, adds fuel to present mixture and closing, screw in, subtracts from present mixture. I'd probably run some Startron thru it to make sure the carbs are clean then adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did this test:
"There is a "choke" test for your bike that might help pin it down. Start the bike and warm it up. Pull the chock half way out. If the bike runs worse it is rich. To much gas. If it runs better it is lean. Starving for gas."
Found it here some weeks ago

·
Registered
66 Posts
The PMS (Primary Mixture Screw) is used to trim the fuel for the idle circuit. Opening, screw out, adds fuel to present mixture and closing, screw in, subtracts from present mixture. I'd probably run some Startron thru it to make sure the carbs are clean then adjust accordingly.
Startron ok for this types of bikes?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts