Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I was out of country over most of the winter, and my bike sat out in the wet British winter. I removed the battery and drained the tank.

But, now, riding season is coming back up, and I'm home and I can't get the thing to start. It turns over without issue, I can hear the fuel pump and smell fuel in the exhaust, both of which are pushing air when cranking. I took the air cleaner and air box (the thing under the tank) off and shot some carb cleaner down the intake, thinking, and it still just TURNS without starting.

Logically, I went to the ignition system next, and the carb HEATER fuse was blown, replaced it with no change. Ignition fuses are good, assuming that the 30A one above the battery and the one in the little fuse array by the tool kit are the only ones to worry about. I took the plugs out and cleaned them off, they were a bit oily, but I saw spark on them. BUT it wasn't particularly bright, although it was daylight. Just like a dim haze of blue, so I might still have an ignition problem. My next step will be to replace the plugs, but I have a feeling that it should TRY to fire more than not at all, even with a little spark.

Basically, any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you have compression? If so is it enough on both cylinders? I'm wondering if you possibly have one or more valves stuck open.
I'm sure the fuel was fresh and not not also from the previous season? Not sitting in a can all winter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just got basic hand tools at my disposal right now, but I have no reason to DOUBT my compression. When I had the air box (is that what it's called? The sealed cover under the tank.) off, I definitely got plenty of suction into the carbs, and I have plenty of push coming out each exhaust. And no suction to the exhaust and no pressure coming OUT of the carbs. And the fuel wasn't brand new, but wasn't all-winter old, either. About a month and a half in a can in the garage. I should note that it's a finished garage it was in, too.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Can you verify that fuel is getting to the cylinders?? If you've been trying to start for an extended time, the plugs should most likely be wet with fuel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. When I took them out, it was after a start attempt, and I could smell fuel in the EXHAUST, but the plugs were mostly just a bit oily. I cleaned them off and made sure they sparked while outside of the engine, but now I'm leaning more towards a carb rebuild. Might as well replace the plugs while I'm at it, as well, but I think it's time I went through the whole fuel system...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts