Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Yamaha Vstar 650
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering if it would be possible to fit a shafts driven all aluminum wheel from an 1100 to a 650. The wheels are the same stock size, I just want to get rid of the spoke look. If not then could anyone recommend a place to get wheels for a 2003 650.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
James you need to keep a log of what it takes to do that conversion, you will see people asking about that topic every month, and make a post about the whole process when it is complete.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good Suggestion Jspree. I'll do that. I'm taking lots of photos along the way. I'll post updates as I go on the conversation that I started "VStar 650, Changing to rear mag wheel with 1100 final drive". Then I'll create a consolidated post when the project is completed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good Suggestion Jspree. I'll do that. I'm taking lots of photos along the way. I'll post updates as I go on the conversation that I started "VStar 650, Changing to rear mag wheel with 1100 final drive". Then I'll create a consolidated post when the project is completed.
I'm curious ... why not just sell the 650 and buy an 1100? That way you get the desired rear wheel, plus a bigger bike, dual front disks, etc.

I know we all have different needs, but there are a lot of used 1100's available. Plus that way you don't lose access to your bike during the project, although you may have multiple bikes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi toomanybikes, That's a good question. There are many reasons that come to mind for me, so hold on, this is going to take awhile. Probably the number one reason is that I have made tons of modifications to this bike in order to make it the way that I want it. Not just bolt on mods but custom fabricated parts. Honestly, I get asked all of the time, "what is that bike" and I'm kind of proud that I've made something unique. My mods including fabricating my own two-into-one glass pack exhaust, Custom brackets for mounting Harley CVO bags, Custom hardware and circuitry to convert rear light to a two light system from the stock three light system, Custom made low profile luggage rack, and lots of other mods. So If were to start with the 1100, it would take tons of time and work to make it the way that I want it to be. I don't want to start over. The other thing is that I have ridden larger bikes that in some ways do the job of cross country riding better than my 650, but most of those bikes are awfully heavy. Ever ride on a gravel rode? or a dirt road in the rain? now add 150 lbs of gear on the back and in the bags, and maybe a passenger. The last thing you want is a super heavy bike. The weight also affects the handling on paved roads. Sometimes you want to carve up a windy mountain road and really dig into those corners. The lighter bike transitions better from lets say a left turn into a right turn when you need to lean the bike over from one side to the other quickly. On that note I will say that the Harley Street Glide road pretty nicely for being over 800 lbs. of bike, not fun to back that thing up though. So weight vs. ride-ability / handling is the issue there. My 650 handles wonderfully even fully loaded. Another thing that I've noticed, and this is just my opinion, The 650 has nicer lines than the 1100. I think its just a better looking bike. Again, just my opinion, no offence meant to all of my 1100 brothers. Honestly, I love all bikes no matter the make or model. Another thing that somehow affects my way of thinking here is that I am the original owner of this bike. I've done over 60,000 miles of riding on it. much of that riding was going cross country in the US and Canada. So, I think that all of those miles, experiences, even the road side breakdowns that occurred in someway connect the rider (me) with the bike. I guess that's a sentimental attachment. I would say that all of those mods that I did, my personal work with my own hands to create what this bike is now, well, there is something that creates a connection with the bike. I guess I'm getting a little Philosophical now. Perhaps I should start a podcast :) The biggest problem that the 650 has is the need for a 6th gear. that top end is the limiting factor. I have potential solutions for that but one mod at a time. Power is sufficient but would be nice to have more. Again, I have ideas for that. So there you go. Those are my reasons. I would love to hear what yo guys think about all of that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
a couple of photos:
My exhaust is a little beat up in the second photo, took a spill at a river crossing in Utah early on that trip. BTW, the only reason the cop car is there is because I got a flat tire on the front of my bike, no ticket. Some advice on that note: When ever you change your tires, physically check the size of the inner tube that they are installing. Your looking at a new front tire there, they put too small of a tube in it and it blew out on the freeway. Scaaaary!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of mods. I tend to keep my bikes mostly stock, so it would be an easier choice for me. Plus I'm tall (6'3") so the added cockpit size of the 1100 is needed. I've owned a 650 before and it was just too small. Good luck with your project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts