Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 1100 silverado that I bought about a month ago and I love everything about this bike except that it is smooth as silk up to 50 mph, 50 to 60 starts to vibrate some and gets worse after 65 plus. Are all these bikes this way or is there something I can do about this? Am I expecting too much from a cruiser?:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 650 and 1100 v-stars are like this for the mostpart just due to the way they are geared and how the engines are mounted.

I know my current 1100 is a tad smoother now after its break in and its running on 10 40 ams oil full synthetic oil. vibs still come in at 65mph but they are not too bad or uncomfy in any way till much faster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an '06 1100 silverado that I bought about a month ago and I love everything about this bike except that it is smooth as silk up to 50 mph, 50 to 60 starts to vibrate some and gets worse after 65 plus. Are all these bikes this way or is there something I can do about this? Am I expecting too much from a cruiser?:confused:
If the carburetors are out of synch, the bike will vibrate. You need to synchronize the carburetors or have it done by someone that knows how to synchronize the carburetors on the V Star 1100.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the carburetors are out of synch, the bike will vibrate. You need to synchronize the carburetors or have it done by someone that knows how to synchronize the carburetors on the V Star 1100.
My bike is smooooooth from ideal to 70 mph. :D Its smoother past 70 mph, but I'm not telling my top speed. :eek:

No sir officer, I was not speeding....:p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, but you are wrong.:D
How so????

I have owned both a 2000 650cc v star classic and a 2008 V star 1100 silverado.

Both bikes are solid mounted engines and both have gearing that leaves the bike in the upper end of the rpm a 65-70mph. They are also a 70*(650) and 75*(1100) v twin witch is not the optimal design for vibration caneling (90* is for v twins). Its not a problem in any way with the bikes in fact my 1100 is the best bike i have ridden for my preferances. My last bike before the 1100 was as smooth a bike as one can buy a suzuki V-Strom 650cc. IT had a 90* v twin and was near electric smooth from idle up to around 7000rpm with some vibs from 7000rpm to the 10,500rpm redline. But the bike was boaring and had no carecter among other problems wich is what brought me back to the V-Stars

I never found the vibrations bothersome but i aint gona say they aint there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How so????

I have owned both a 2000 650cc v star classic and a 2008 V star 1100 silverado.

Both bikes are solid mounted engines and both have gearing that leaves the bike in the upper end of the rpm a 65-70mph. They are also a 70*(650) and 75*(1100) v twin witch is not the optimal design for vibration caneling (90* is for v twins). Its not a problem in any way with the bikes in fact my 1100 is the best bike i have ridden for my preferances. My last bike before the 1100 was as smooth a bike as one can buy a suzuki V-Strom 650cc. IT had a 90* v twin and was near electric smooth from idle up to around 7000rpm with some vibs from 7000rpm to the 10,500rpm redline. But the bike was boaring and had no carecter among other problems wich is what brought me back to the V-Stars

I never found the vibrations bothersome but i aint gona say they aint there.
The OP was asking about his bike being smooth up to 50 and 50 to 60 starting to vibrate and gets worse from 65 on. That is not a design issue, but a mechanical issue. He was not asking about the degree issue that the V twin motors have. Your stating a degree issue when he was asking about a problem with vibrations at highways speeds. Yes, the V twin does shack some at ideal (not much), but it should not vibrate while riding down the road. He has a carburetor issue that needs addressed. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine shook me to death around 60 until i got over a thousand miles on it. I don't think anybody can answer your question with the limited information you gave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine shook so bad, when looking in the mirrors, I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle I was looking at. I rode for a couple of days before I couldn't take it any longer (it would put my hands to sleep). Plus mine was popping and backfiring during deceleration. I had two problems from the day I bought my bike. Mine was too lean from the factory and both carburetors were way out of synchronization. I didn't take it back to the dealership were I bought the bike cause my dealership was 4.5 hours away. But, I do have another dealership 20 miles that I do not deal with unless I have to. And that is only for parts. But that's another story which I don't care to get into. Well, the first thing I done was pull the carburetors off and pulled out the plug that covers the PMS port on both carbs. That gave me access to adjusting the primary metering screws. If my memory is right, I turned them out another 1/4 turn. I put the carbs back on the bike and started it up and let it run for about a minute and half to warm up. I had my home made manometer already built and put it on the bike and the oil in the manometer was almost two inch's apart. I was blown away when I seen this. I have no idea how my bike got past QC/inspection department. By adjusting the PMS and synchronizing the carburetors. I lost the vibrations and my bike stopped popping and backfiring. I still had a very little blooping (is that a word...lol) during deceleration, but I could live with that until I eliminated the AIS. That was caused by the AIS on the bike. I lost that blooping once I ordered and installed the plugs to eliminate the AIS. If I remember right, I got the plugs from Night sky on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIS-...ies?hash=item2ea655c885&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

·
Registered
68 Posts
I need to take my pms plugs out and sync my carbs. I have the AIS disabled and my popping on decel went away for the most part. Over the winter I'm going to get the caps for the AIS

·
Registered
52 Posts
The OP was asking about his bike being smooth up to 50 and 50 to 60 starting to vibrate and gets worse from 65 on. That is not a design issue, but a mechanical issue. He was not asking about the degree issue that the V twin motors have. Your stating a degree issue when he was asking about a problem with vibrations at highways speeds. Yes, the V twin does shack some at ideal (not much), but it should not vibrate while riding down the road. He has a carburetor issue that needs addressed. :)

What we need to know is if the bike vibrates at the same engine speeds in a differant gear aka slower speed but same engine speed.

Cause the fact of the matter is if you have a solid mounted big boar twin revving at higher rpms its gona vibrate a bit regardless how well tuned and balanced the carbs are. Same goes for a injected bike.

The original posters problem may not even be engine replated at all for that matter. If it is speed related and not rpm related it could just be his tires are not proberly balanced.

I perfctly understand how fueling can cause what one may call vibration (im a diesel mechanic for a living). But to me the problem described sounds like the normal vibs from a 75* big boar twin in its upper rpm nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry I been gone for awhile. I think my carbs might need to be synced. The vibes are at the same engine speed and the bike seems to need another gear. Thanks for all the responses. I don't think it's my tires cause when it vibrates I can pull in the clutch and it doesn't do it while coasting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I perfctly understand how fueling can cause what one may call vibration (im a diesel mechanic for a living).
Actually, I don't think you understand the concept on how out of synchronized carburetors can cause the V-Star 1100 motor to vibrate. Just because your a diesel mechanic doesn't mean you know what your doing when it comes down to working on the V-Star 1100 motor. :rolleyes: I always hear this lane response when it come down to working on a particular motor. Just because your a diesel mechanic, does not mean you no how to work on a gasoline engine (let alone a V-Star 1100 engine).

I'm a Do It Yourselfer, a hobbyist when it comes time to work on my V-Star 1100. So, I no what I'm doing when a problem rises. I've done all of my maintenance since the day I bought my bike. And I've installed all of the upgrades on my bike.

~My Bike~
http://www.youtube.com/user/OLetsRoll

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually, I don't think you understand the concept on how out of synchronized carburetors can cause the V-Star 1100 motor to vibrate. Just because your a diesel mechanic doesn't mean you know what your doing when it comes down to working on the V-Star 1100 motor.

I'm a Do It Yourselfer, a hobbyist when it comes time to work on my V-Star 1100. So, I no what I'm doing when a problem rises. I've done all of my maintenance since the day I bought my bike. And I've installed all of the upgrades on my bike.

~My Bike~
Um who pooped in you cornflakes.

I too have always been a Do It Your Self kinda guy i just went one step further and decided to make my living doing soo. I have owned a 650cc v-star a 650cc v-strom (much harder to work on than the stars) and just got my 2008 1100 v-star this summer. So yes i can fix motorcycles too i just happen to make my living fixin diesels.

I have not only maintain all my own motorcycles but my mothers and brothers as well. I have also did a pretty extensive build of a old ford pickup and modded it for MUCH more power and fuel economy all the while without buying a single upgrade (coustome made and a little tuneing).

On top of that i have built a mini motorcycle for a charity competition a few years back that required you to use lawn mower motors only $300 in parts and aseemble it on site with hand tools in 3hrs before racing them down a short track.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually, I don't think you understand the concept on how out of synchronized carburetors can cause the V-Star 1100 motor to vibrate. Just because your a diesel mechanic doesn't mean you know what your doing when it comes down to working on the V-Star 1100 motor. :rolleyes: I always hear this lane response when it come down to working on a particular motor. Just because your a diesel mechanic, does not mean you no how to work on a gasoline engine (let alone a V-Star 1100 engine).

~My Bike~

I don't think you understand how carbs work at all. Sync needs to be done but is way overrated. Worst case scenario is rough idle, and surging at cruising speed. Out of sync does not cause vibration once your past 1/4 throttle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think you understand how carbs work at all. Sync needs to be done but is way overrated. Worst case scenario is rough idle and surging at cruising speed. Out of sync does not cause vibration once your past 1/4 throttle.
You don't even no what the synchronizer screw adjust or changes do you? If you knew, you would no what symptoms it would cause. Also, how do you get a rough idle at cruising speed? :rolleyes: It is very plain and simple that you have no idea how to work on the carburetors. The only true statement you made was synch was overrated. The reason it's overrated cause people are afraid to work on there bike. They think they might hurt there bike.:eek: I'm old school trained. If I break it, I can fix it. It doesn't bother me.

My bike is smooth from idle, all the way threw the whole rpm range and threw each and every gear. The reason being, cause I'm the one working on the bike. :cool: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work on these bikes.

I done with this thread, unless the OP needs some more help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You don't even no what the synchronizer screw adjust or changes do you? If you knew, you would no what symptoms it would cause. Also, how do you get a rough idle at cruising speed? :rolleyes: It is very plain and simple that you have no idea how to work on the carburetors. The only true statement you made was synch was overrated. The reason it's overrated cause people are afraid to work on there bike. They think they might hurt there bike.:eek: I'm old school trained. If I break it, I can fix it. It doesn't bother me.

My bike is smooth from idle, all the way threw the whole rpm range and threw each and every gear. The reason being, cause I'm the one working on the bike. :cool: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work on these bikes.

I done with this thread, unless the OP needs some more help.
You're just tired of being called out on the fact that you are probably wrong. I just synced my carbs on Saturday due to having them off and making some adjustments. Sync only comes into account below 1/4 throttle which is at idle and cruise. I'm a mechanic by trade, I promise I know more about principles of operation than you do. Just because your bike has no vibration means squat to anybody here. I also said rough idle AND at cruise. Learn to read and or comprehend jarhead. I just put a comma in there for you, does that make it easier for you to read?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts