Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I’m new at this forum stuff so If i’m Not in the right place I’m learning and any constructive Criticism is welcomed...
SO I had a problem with bad gas over the winter messed up the carbs, Had the carbs cleaned at a Good Shop put everything back together and now I have a weird issue.
WIth e fuel selection on main the bike will start and run for a while then cut out and die ( I have almost a full tank of new gas) If I switch the fuel selector to reserve it will run fine.
I thought it might be the fuel filter bu the gas come from the tank to the filter from the same petcock. If it were the carbs wouldn’t it die out no matter what position the fuel selector was in? They want over $400 to tune it up and fix it..... I don’t have that kind of money to spend and the summer is rapidly vanishing without me being able to ride.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY Appreciated .....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I wonder if the petcock could have build up inside. Was it stored with the petcock in the run position? I will switch to off and run gas out of carbs for winter. Of course with seafoam.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Arrows point to sceen on fuel inlet filters to petcock. Remove, clean or replace. It's pretty common with age.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
thats a blurry picture

there are screens where the arrows are pointing

my Royal Star seems to start to stumble about 10 to 20 miles sooner then it should when the main tank is getting low - if I switch to reserve it runs fine all the way down till there are only ounces in the tank.

My bike should be good to about 180 miles on the main tank, but it starts to stumble around 170 on the trip odo.

Im pretty sure the screen in the Main tube is partly blocked near the bottom on mine. I plan to pull it all out and clean it... someday, when I have a new gasket to put it back on the tank..

and its raining
and i have nothing better to do...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great answer, I pulled the fuel petcock last night and after work today I plan on taking a hard look inside, I didn’t see any buildup on the screens, but what you say makes sense , Thanks for the quick reply... I hate watching everybody else ride by my truck......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply, I am going to take the petcock apart tonight, SO the main fuel filter shouldn’t make a difference right because it’s before the fuel selection switch....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that’s whatI pulled out, Could the build up be inside the screen, Because the screen doesn’t look bad, and can you remove the screen and replace with new ones?
Thanks for the quick reply..

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, After messing with mine last night I agree, I looked online (Amazon) and purchased the same one. Should be here this weekend so I hoping to be back on the road this weekend.
Thanks for the reply..

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
The only difference is the petcock is a little longer and sticks down a little more. I like that because it's easier to turn off and on with gloves. You will see what I mean if you didn't follow that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts