Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I've been helping my neighbor with his 2008? Yamaha V-Star 1300.
Spring is here and his bike wouldn't start with a dead battery. So we went to replace the battery, only to find it wouldn't start anymore. Crank but no start and leak gas out the exhaust.
I started with the plugs. Plugs were wet. I cleaned them up and tested them against the head. Nice bright blue spark. Test again, no start, fuel pouring out the exhaust. Over-fueling problem...
Cylinder #1 (front cylinder), seemed to have WAY more fuel in it than the rear cylinder.
So I figured it was a stuck injector as he didn't put any fuel stabilizer in it in the fall.
I pulled the tank off and pulled out the injectors. Gave them a proper cleaning (powered up and ran carb cleaner through them), they weren't clogged at all.
Re-assembled it all.
Decided to pull the fuel injection fuse and try to run it to clear the flooding problem.
It cleared the cylinders and fired up for a bit, so I know it's a fuel problem not a spark problem.
I removed the EJK (electronic jet kit) fuel controller to be 100% sure (the bike previously hand a set of straight pipes).
Still not working.
I tried disconnecting the air temperature sensor (under the headlight), gave code 22 and the O2 sensor, no code.
Still not running.
I even tried slamming the fuel injection fuse in while the engine was running while clearing the cylinders. The engine would die immediately once the fuel injection system was connected.

I'm left with the TPS (throttle position sensor) and ECT (engine coolant sensor) to check. These could trick the engine into thinking the throttle is wide-open (when it's idling) or the engine is super cold and the air super dense (it's 12c out, no cold, not warm).

Has anyone run into a problem like this?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stuwy123

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
378 Posts
I would suggest checking the wiring to the tps and check values for it .. also if it's fueling like its full throttle could be bad spark plugs.. weak spark and carbon build up or stale fuel will not allow spark as the plug is fouled and grounding out .

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
make sure something didnt crawl into the air filter and die, or make a nest in there

if the air intake is blocked the engine will flood all the time

Reactions: Mrdub

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've pulled the air filter, no issues. Replaced it anyways.
I figured the TPS was toast because I ohm-ed the pins on the sensor (not plugged in). Turns out it needs to be plugged in.

Still the problem persists.
It appears to be cylinder one (front cylinder) that is over-fueling. So the injectors work mechanically (tested off the bike, good pattern and will open/shut) but are receiving a signal to fuel constantly.

I figured out how to get into diagnostic mode. The fuel pump was firing up constantly while cycling through the menu which I thought was weird. The engine flooded itself while scrolling through the diagnostic menu. Cleared a bunch of codes 12, 15, 46 (can't remember them all). Pulled the fuel pump fuse to clear the flooding. Called it quits for the night.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
378 Posts
I figured the TPS was toast because I ohm-ed the pins on the sensor (not plugged in). Turns out it needs to be plugged in.

It appears to be cylinder one (front cylinder) that is over-fueling. So the injectors work mechanically (tested off the bike, good pattern and will open/shut) but are receiving a signal to fuel constantly.

I figured out how to get into diagnostic mode. The fuel pump was firing up constantly while cycling through the menu which I thought was weird. The engine flooded itself while scrolling through the diagnostic menu. Cleared a bunch of codes 12, 15, 46 (can't remember them all). Pulled the fuel pump fuse to clear the flooding. Called it quits for the night.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
I would change not just clean up the plugs for sure. Common failure issue.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ran the diagnostic test D36 and D37 (injector 1 and 2 tests), no clicks, just fuel pump running. I checked with a mechanic's stethoscope, no clicking. I metered the injectors plugs 12v on one side, grounded on the other. The fuel injectors are wide open, all the time.
Every second the fuel pump is running, the fuel injectors are open, flooding the engine.
This points to the ECU. Which is another question, where is the ECU located? I'm guessing behind the T20 Security Torx cover on the clutch side.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
378 Posts
Ecu is beside the battery on the left. Not behind the cover but yes that side.

With your electrical test did you notice a pulse on the injectors on the negative side?? With the connector connected to the injector or just disconnected. The pulse is very minute. If the plugs were disconnected you wouldn't see a pulse. But it does sound like your going in ther right direction.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
378 Posts
What recall are you referring too Jenn72 ?? I haven't seen any for the 2008 1300's.

·
Registered
2008 Vstar1300
378 Posts
Thanks Jen ..I'll look into it as i don't think my bike has had any recalls done on it . I don't and have not had any issues but better safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
272 Posts
I have NO idea where on this board I found it, but I read a post that had a link to a Yamaha domain / web site. On the page that opened, it had a box at the top for you to punch in your VIN#.

Told me my 2002 650 needs a factory recall for the mount of the passenger seat.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
272 Posts
Lesblank, this is a copy/paste from the top of your link:

learn if a specific vehicle has not been repaired as part of a safety recall in the last 15 years.

So basically, if you were looking up a 2004 or older it won't work.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,438 Posts
Lesblank, this is a copy/paste from the top of your link:

learn if a specific vehicle has not been repaired as part of a safety recall in the last 15 years.

So basically, if you were looking up a 2004 or older it won't work.
You are correct. I've learned thru out the years attempting to get recall info from dealers can be challenging, at least for me. Many of the smaller motorsport dealers, even if manufacturer sanctioned, don't have the best software at their location. The Federal site I posted stays pretty current.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
FOUND IT!!!

IMO, this link needs to be in a sticky post. So it is always "at the top of the page".
I agree with making a sticky post for the recall page!

My 2004 was listed as already being fixed for a recall of the rear seat.

March 3, 2005 Dear Yamaha Owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA, has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all XVS11A (V Star 1100 Classic), XVS11AT (V Star 1100 Silverado), XVS11 (V Star 1100 Custom), XVS65A (V Star Classic), XVS65AT (V Star Silverado), XVS65 (V Star Custom), and XV250 (Virago 250) motorcycles.

On affected motorcycles, the mounting hardware holding the passenger seat to the fender could loosen due to passenger's weight shifting on the seat. If the mounting hardware becomes loose enough to fall off, the passenger seat can fall off the rear fender. A passenger on the motorcycle could lose balance and fall, causing serious injury or death. You should not ride your motorcycle with a passenger until a modification is performed. To correct this defect, the hardware holding the passenger seat to the fender must be replaced with components of a different type that will not allow the seat to fall off. There will be no charge to you for this procedure. Your dealer will probably need to keep your motorcycle less than one hour to accomplish the required modification.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
272 Posts
Yup, that's the same one I have to get fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts