Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yall has anyone replaced your rear rotor or fronts im looking to replace my rear rotor. But would like to get some info on what yall recommend. Brand or if i should just go with stock.

A little back story about 4 months ago i didnt know my rear pads where worn. Down to metal. It had no squealing wasnt grabbing hard nothing. So i replaced them as soon as my brother i ride with said bro your **** is sparking. I know i know i should check that stuff but whats done is done. So what yall think about brands. Iv got EBC pads should I go with EBC rotors

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little more its not all the way wore out but it is grooved pretty good. In july my wife and a group of our friends and i will be doing a 500 + mile trip. And i want to replace it before that trip

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have never replaced the rotors on any of my bikes, but I have used EBC pads and never had any issues with wear life on them. They are a reputable brand so I would feel good purchasing and using them.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike has just shy of 13,000 miles on it and i try my best to take care of it and all its needs

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I think you will be fine with the aftermarket rotors. I have used EBC brake pads for years on different motorsports stuff and never had a problem. I have their pads on my bike now. IF you went metal to metal yes I would replace the rotor. To start with with the grooves and new pads the rear brake will be soft until it wears into the grooves. Second the brake pads will wear out faster. Of course there will be more brake noise, if that bothers you.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
"My bike has just shy of 13,000 miles on it...."

if your rear pads wore down to the metal in only 13,000 miles, I think something is wrong with your rear brake, or you are riding with your toe on the pedal.

Possibly the caliper has been hanging up.

I still have the original front pads on my bike at 30,000 miles, and they are no where near needing replacement

the rear brakes should last 3 to 4 times longer than the front.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
"My bike has just shy of 13,000 miles on it...."

if your rear pads wore down to the metal in only 13,000 miles, I think something is wrong with your rear brake, or you are riding with your toe on the pedal.

Possibly the caliper has been hanging up.

I still have the original front pads on my bike at 30,000 miles, and they are no where near needing replacement

the rear brakes should last 3 to 4 times longer than the front.
I agree with that. I have 16k on mine now. I put new front pads on it, not because they were worn out but because they were noisy. Squealing brakes irritate the hell out of me. They were barely worn. I bought rear brake pads at the same time I just do not feel like putting them on since I do not need them.. lol. I am willing to bet either the caliper pins hung up or there is trash in the brake line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there i just replaced my rear brakes i actually found a rotor through wal-mart.com i can't remember the company name i was just $49 that was about 600 miles ago with no trouble so far the pads i had ordered is another story they said they fit my 1300 tourer but turned out to be twice as thick as the ones i got from the dealer

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi there i just replaced my rear brakes i actually found a rotor through wal-mart.com i can't remember the company name i was just $49 that was about 600 miles ago with no trouble so far the pads i had ordered is another story they said they fit my 1300 tourer but turned out to be twice as thick as the ones i got from the dealer
I'll look into that rotor thank you

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bent the front rotors on my Goldwing. I replaced them with cheap Chinese rotors off of Ebay or Amazon about 75,000 miles ago...no problems at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts