Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I passed the 16,000 mile mark last week and am going to be doing all (if possible), or most of the work myself. I plan on doing it a little later in the year when it starts raining, but I want to start getting info now before I run into easily avoided problems. I'm pretty excited, but I don't have a game plan yet. I was thinking of doing all of the maintenance for each system, then moving to the next system (ie: all engine maintenance, then brakes, then tranny, etc..).

I was just hoping for some input on what you guys did and would maybe do different or what you would avoid completely. Any advice is welcome =)

Also, I plan on posting the adventure as I go, but like I said, it won't be until it starts raining and whatnot.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
depending on how old the brake lines are, it may be time to just replace them. Yamaha recommends new ones every 4 years.

if you need to replace your brake pads, i recommend the EBC double sintered. i've had mine for probably 4 years and about 30,000 miles now and still have plenty of pad on both the front and rear.

for oil, i recommend Amsoil. you can get up to 1 yr/10,000 miles between oil changes, and it beats out a bunch of competitors in several performance areas.

check nuts/bolts around the engine casing area and forks and fenders. things tend to loosen up over time from all the vibrations of that v-twin motor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bevo,

My bike is 12 years old, but I got it about 2 years ago. The previous owner only put 4,500 ish miles on it in 10 years, so he didn't do much maintenance while he had it. I will probably end up replacing the brake lines, but I was going to do it with braided metal lines instead of the normal brake lines. Are there any reasons that I should avoid that?

I just replaced the brake pads about 1000 miles ago, so I won't be doing that. I will take them out and inspecting them, but unless something has gone terribly wrong, they shouldn't need to be replaced yet =)

I haven't seen that brand of oil around here (California), but I'll look for it when I go shopping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts