Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--

Although I only have 11,260 miles on my Eluder, I had it in to the dealer for the 16,000 mile check since I'm leaving on a long trip soon. The mechanic said he replaced the swingarm bearings as the ones from the factory were in backwards.

I don't know what the importance is of that since the mechanic was off today when I picked up the bike. But you might want to keep that in mind.

--

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I bought my 650 with 17,000 miles and decided to repack the swing arm bearings. Both bearing races had the hard face worn off and the bearings showed heat marks. All this occurred as someone had re-packed the bearings with chassis grease instead of bearing grease. Moral of this, just because something was done, doesn't mean it was done correctly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All swing arm bearings I've run into were just normal roller bearings. I can't imagine how they would be classified as in backwards as there is no forward or backwards. That is unless some are different styles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rufus, I find it hard to believe that chassis grease would ruin a bearing that barley moves, these bearing don't spin like wheel brgs. I would believe that could happen to bearings that were over tightened and got moisture in them.

Kent is correct, almost impossible to install swing arm bearing in backwards.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What strikes me as odd when I scan this thread is why would anyone even check the swing arm bearings at all? Is it an inspection point at a 16K checkup? Like sdunker says, they barely move at all (what? maybe a 10 to 20 degree arc, at most?) so it wouldn't seem to me to be something to be remotely concerned with until years/miles down the road.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What strikes me as odd when I scan this thread is why would anyone even check the swing arm bearings at all? Is it an inspection point at a 16K checkup? Like sdunker says, they barely move at all (what? maybe a 10 to 20 degree arc, at most?) so it wouldn't seem to me to be something to be remotely concerned with until years/miles down the road.
Yes it is a check. Supposed to re-pack them with I think Lithium grease. Have to check the manual.
While there’s not a lot of motion like a wheel, it’s not so much the “motion” as it is the sheer force involved in what little motion there is. The SVTC weighs in at 964lbs!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
--

Update. I spoke to the mechanic today on the reversed swingarm bearings. He said the problem wasn't that they were reversed, but there were two on the left side and one on the right. Should be the other way as there is more torque on the right from the drive belt.

--

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ah! That makes perfect sense. Looked at the parts fiche and it does show two on one side. Very good. Thanks for the update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts