Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be going on a long vacation in a month or so. I decided to do my valve check a little early at 15k. It took about 6 hours but suspect I could cut that in half the next time. By the way, the plugs were an odd size (for me anyway). I have a lot of sparkplug sockets but no 18mm. I included some pics of the plugs. They look good, no reason to replace every 16k in my opinion. The valves were good, they were at 0 or very close. I had a .005 that would not slide between them. You need a "bent" feeler gauge for the front cylinder as I had a hard time manipulating the feeler gauge on the front valves.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,491 Posts
Plugs do look good. The first time I tackle a new procedure it always takes a little longer. Good to hear all checked out good. There sure is a lot of hoses and other stuff on that motor.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'll be going on a long vacation in a month or so. I decided to do my valve check a little early at 15k. It took about 6 hours but suspect I could cut that in half the next time. By the way, the plugs were an odd size (for me anyway). I have a lot of sparkplug sockets but no 18mm. I included some pics of the plugs. They look good, no reason to replace every 16k in my opinion. The valves were good, they were at 0 or very close. I had a .005 that would not slide between them. You need a "bent" feeler gauge for the front cylinder as I had a hard time manipulating the feeler gauge on the front valves.
Great info Rob. I’m having mine done here by the dealership next week. I’ll learn how and do them myself next time. My plugs I changed at 20k miles and looked good but I figure, plugs are relatively cheap so if ya gotta pull them to check... why not replace?
My valves are getting done here at 24k miles. That’s because the rebuild at 8k changed my periodicity.
Another notice, you’re bike is pretty clean in all that “hidden” area. Myself, I’d be cleaning everything I could reach while I had access with the tank off! Looks like you either did it or just not that dirty.
Parts wise, didn’t you need anything other than your valve cover gaskets?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info Rob. I’m having mine done here by the dealership next week. I’ll learn how and do them myself next time. My plugs we changed at 20k miles and looked good but I figure, plugs are relatively cheap so if ya gotta pull them to check... why not replace?
My valves are getting done here at 24k miles. That’s because the rebuild at 8k changed my periodicity.
Another notice, you’re bike is pretty clean I’m all that “hidden” area. Myself, I’d be cleaning everything I could reach while I had access with the tank off!
Parts wise, didnyou beed anything other than your valve cover gaskets?
I only bought plugs. I figured the gaskets would still be in good shape and they were. I reused them. With the plugs out I just put it in gear and turned the wheel to turn the motor for the valve check.

·
Banned
137 Posts
With my Honda(non-hydraulic) it was better to have a clearance there or the valves would burn from being open. I like that sound of a smooth running sewing machine, tic tic tic tic.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Great info Rob. I’m having mine done here by the dealership next week. I’ll learn how and do them myself next time. My plugs we changed at 20k miles and looked good but I figure, plugs are relatively cheap so if ya gotta pull them to check... why not replace?
Another notice, you’re bike is pretty clean I’m all that “hidden” area. Myself, I’d be cleaning everything I could reach while I had access with the tank off!
Parts wise, didnyou beed anything other than your valve cover gaskets?
I only bought plugs. I figured the gaskets would still be in good shape and they were. I reused them. With the plugs out I just put it in gear and turned the wheel to turn the motor for the valve check.
Hey Rob @Bucfan11, I’d like to draw on your experience here for a moment.
Obviously the tank had to come off. Any gaskets there that I should be aware of?
Also, you mentioned that having an “angled” set of feeler gauges would have made it easier” is that correct?
Any other tips or tricks you could share would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I remember my Stryker had 18-mm plugs that I had to buy a socket for. Took me about 3 hours to check and adjust the valves on it (well, only one really needed a slight adjustment).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I remember my Stryker had 18-mm plugs that I had to buy a socket for. Took me about 3 hours to check and adjust the valves on it (well, only one really needed a slight adjustment).
Mine too Oscar. I recently replaced my plugs and had to purchase an 18mm plug socket for it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Obviously the tank had to come off. Any gaskets there that I should be aware of?
Also, you mentioned that having an “angled” set of feeler gauges would have made it easier” is that correct?
Thanks in advance!
Lots of hoses attached to tank but nothing special. The angled feeler gauges would make it easier but you can do it with standard ones.The only things I bought were the plugs. No gaskets anywhere except the valve covers. I did not remove the cam covers as I used the rear wheel to turn the engine when the plugs were out. You may want to buy valve cover gaskets but I just reused mine, no issues. Here is a tip - You do NOT need to remove the fuel injectors from the top of the valve cover. There was one hose on the tank that had press on hose clamps, if you remove one you will have to replace it with a standard clamp.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Lots of hoses attached to tank but nothing special. The angled feeler gauges would make it easier but you can do it with standard ones.The only things I bought were the plugs. No gaskets anywhere except the valve covers. I did not remove the cam covers as I used the rear wheel to turn the engine when the plugs were out. You may want to buy valve cover gaskets but I just reused mine, no issues. Here is a tip - You do NOT need to remove the fuel injectors from the top of the valve cover. There was one hose on the tank that had press on hose clamps, if you remove one you will have to replace it with a standard clamp.
Thanks Rob @Bucfan11

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well Rob @Bucfan11, I decided to do the valve adjustment myself. I just picked up the valve cover gaskets today. I know you re-used your old ones but I prefer new.
I need to pick up some angled feeler gauges as you mentioned. The idea of having to pay over $400 just for them to do it swayed me pretty hard.
I’m mechanically competent, I have a manual and I can follow directions so I should be fine. The tech at the shop said the setting is 0 or as close to that as you can get.
Trying to get the house in order after getting all new carpeting so I’ll probably start this Sunday afternoon.
Quick question... you said you “turned the rear wheel to get it in the right position.” Is there a trick to that because I can’t move the bike in gear sitting on it. I can only imagine trying to turn it by hand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well Rob @Bucfan11, I decided to do the valve adjustment myself. I just picked up the valve cover gaskets today. I know you re-used your old ones but I prefer new.
I need to pick up some angled feeler gauges as you mentioned. The idea of having to pay over $400 just for them to do it swayed me pretty hard.
I’m mechanically competent, I have a manual and I can follow directions so I should be fine. The tech at the shop said the setting is 0 or as close to that as you can get.
Trying to get the house in order after getting all new carpeting so I’ll probably start this Sunday afternoon.
Quick question... you said you “turned the rear wheel to get it in the right position.” Is there a trick to that because I can’t move the bike in gear sitting on it. I can only imagine trying to turn it by hand.
If you remove the 4 spark plugs (I would replace them while you're in there) and leave them out while you check the valves you will have no compression. Easy to turn it by hand or by sitting on it.

BTW, it is easier to put the pspark plugs bach in while the valve covers are off. It's not hard either way but it is easier without the covers on.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you remove the 4 spark plugs (I would replace them while you're in there) and leave them out while you check the valves you will have no compression. Easy to turn it by hand or by sitting on it.

BTW, it is easier to put the pspark plugs bach in while the valve covers are off. It's not hard either way but it is easier without the covers on.
I just replaced the plugs 4K miles ago.
I’ll pull them again. Thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts