Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at 16,200 miles. I broke the $800 news to my wife and got the ok to go ahead and will bring it in but I hate to sacrifice riding days. Is there some wiggle room? (Please don't suggest doing it myself. I've seen videos of the process and it's way beyond my wrench capability). Thanks.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
$800... really?

its an 8 to 10 hour job?!

I wouldnt fret about it if you go a few thousand miles past 16k.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
That's definitely a chuck of change. The piece of mind will be worth it. Just tell the wife you are investing in her sanity because it gives you wind therapy. 😀

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Their book says it's a 6
hr. job. My wife is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm at 16,200 miles. I broke the $800 news to my wife and got the ok to go ahead and will bring it in but I hate to sacrifice riding days. Is there some wiggle room? (Please don't suggest doing it myself. I've seen videos of the process and it's way beyond my wrench capability). Thanks.
Don’t know where you’re at but that’s HIGH!
My dealership even with the gaskets was only charging me $470. You’re TWICE that. Then again, my tech has done numerous valve adjustments in Raiders (almost same) and 2018’s. Probably doesn’t take him as long as somebody who’s trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just realized I was getting quoted for a full 16K service which includes plugs, oil and filter, transfer case oil, front wheel bearings etc. I've done all of that this spring so the actual valve clearance check will be about $300. That's fair. However the Raider has a history of fuel pump issues. I'm getting intermittent hesitating/brief drops in power. Apparently heat causes the housing to crack. You can buy the pump but not just the housing. They're going to inspect it Mon. If there is a pressure issue or crack that's another $500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts