Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm liking what I've read about the MC II, but it doesn't come in a 170/70. Would there be any issues other than slight change in the speedometer with fitting the larger tire on the 1300?

·
Registered
894 Posts
You'll lose almost 2/3" clearance between the tire and the fender. I don't know what the clearance is normally with a stock tire. The speedometer change will be towards being more accurate (around 5% lower reading than stock or 3.43 mph to the good at 65 indicated). You will also sit 2/3" higher.

The 180/65 is the more popular choice. It is slightly wider and barely shorter making it the better choice for most people. It also has the better load rating.

Edited to correct fraction error (3/4 vs 2/3) and add mileage differential.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Overall the 170/80 would be 1.3" taller than the 170/70. But only half that is on each side of the tire. So yeah, about 2/3 of an inch more tire under the fender. I'm sure there is plenty of space for it. Not really enough to make any huge difference in the speedo though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You'll lose almost 2/3" clearance between the tire and the fender. I don't know what the clearance is normally with a stock tire. The speedometer change will be towards being more accurate (around 5% lower reading than stock or 3.43 mph to the good at 65 indicated). You will also sit 2/3" higher.

The 180/65 is the more popular choice. It is slightly wider and barely shorter making it the better choice for most people. It also has the better load rating.

Edited to correct fraction error (3/4 vs 2/3) and add mileage differential.
This is what I've done on my 950. So far I've been very impressed with this tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts