Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to this site. i have an 08 1100 custom, i would like to upgrade to a 19" spoke wheel in the front. has anyone ever tried relacing a 650 19" spoke rim to an 1100 hub.
i am disassembling my wheels to have them powder coated black and putting white wall tires on it. there seems to be more options for WW tires for a 19" wheel and i dont like the factory gap between the front tire and fender that the 1100 has.

thank u for any input,
nick

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
im new to this site. i have an 08 1100 custom, i would like to upgrade to a 19" spoke wheel in the front. has anyone ever tried relacing a 650 19" spoke rim to an 1100 hub.
i am disassembling my wheels to have them powder coated black and putting white wall tires on it. there seems to be more options for WW tires for a 19" wheel and i dont like the factory gap between the front tire and fender that the 1100 has.

thank u for any input,
nick
I just lowered the fender when I had a stock wheel on mine. Drill 4 holes in the mount and 10 minutes later it's done.

You could probably get a 650 wheel to work, but I'm not sure how the speedo adapter hooks up to everything up there. It may not be a super easy swap because of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i noticed that the 650 hub is only set up for a single rotor while the 1100 has dual. the spoke pattern looks the same and i would just be using the outer rim and spokes from the 650 and the hub from my 1100. the cheapest i can find a 650 wheel is $150 plus shipping and id hate to find out it wont work after spending the cash.

also ive been looking at the shinko 777 white walls and i cant find them in an

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If you're going to all that work, I'd definitely not use the Yamaha spokes. Get a decent set from Buchanan.

If I was spending $150 on a wheel, I'd probably just go with a 21" Harley wheel. Worst case scenario is another $75 to have an axle machined ans one fork drilled out. Lots of ww choices in 21". I just did mine and the wheel with rotor was $100. Lots of wheel choices too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"sick mick" awesome man. love the look of that wheel on your bike but i seen the spendy price tag someone posted and it scared me off. it would also bug me if the spokes in front didn't match the rear wheel, but a 16" harley wheel in the back would look so much cooler than the 15".
sounds like i have found yet another money pit. lol

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm not sure what you consider spendy, but I have just a little more than $200 in the wheel conversion not including the tire and I'll get an easy $100 back when I sell my stock wheel.

You are right about the spokes though, the finish on Yamaha ones really sucks and the Harley ones look much better. I doubt you'd ever get a Harley rear wheel to work on an 1100 without some radical changes.....

It's just my opinion, but going 1" taller isn't much of a change for the money. You may lose any additional height you hoped to gain if the 19" tire has a smaller profile than the 18". That is the main reason I went to a 21.....well......that and the tire choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input "sickmick". i try to customize all my vehicles by modifying oem parts from either different years, models or in new configurations. it makes telling the build story fun and most of the time doesn't cost as much as aftermarket parts.

i think im gonna go ahead and try it my way first. you guys can always tell me i told you so.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Absolutely....to each their own. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all right i havnt had time to do any more research on the 19" front wheel and im tired of not being able to ride my bike because my rear tire is getting bald.

what brand and size white wall tires are poeple running on vtar 1100 with an 18" front wheel and a 15" rear wheel.:confused: im such a quiter

·
Registered
47 Posts
all right i havnt had time to do any more research on the 19" front wheel and im tired of not being able to ride my bike because my rear tire is getting bald.

what brand and size white wall tires are poeple running on vtar 1100 with an 18" front wheel and a 15" rear wheel.:confused: im such a quiter
Dunlop k555 white wall for the rear

·
Registered
419 Posts
19" spoke wheel for 1100

I'm not sure what you consider spendy, but I have just a little more than $200 in the wheel conversion not including the tire and I'll get an easy $100 back when I sell my stock wheel.

You are right about the spokes though, the finish on Yamaha ones really sucks and the Harley ones look much better. I doubt you'd ever get a Harley rear wheel to work on an 1100 without some radical changes.....

It's just my opinion, but going 1" taller isn't much of a change for the money. You may lose any additional height you hoped to gain if the 19" tire has a smaller profile than the 18". That is the main reason I went to a 21.....well......that and the tire choices.

Sick Mick have any pictures of the 21" Harley front ww wheel would love to see how it looks! I'm thinking of doing the same to my 1300. What's involved with swapping out a stock 16" front tire to a 21" Harley ww tire if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sick Mick have any pictures of the 21" Harley front ww wheel would love to see how it looks! I'm thinking of doing the same to my 1300. What's involved with swapping out a stock 16" front tire to a 21" Harley ww tire if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not sure of the axle size on the 1300 or the rotor spacing....but the easiest swap on the 1100 is detailed HERE. Just scroll down to the bottom. It's just a matter of machining a Harley axle and drilling out one fork leg to 3/4".

Jut make sure you get Harley wheel with sealed bearings (I think it is 99-up). Mine was an earlier tapered bearing wheel and it took a bit more to get it fitted. The rotor/caliper spacing was almost perfect. If you shop around on ebay, you'll find something. I looked for a couple months and found mine for less than $100 shipped and it had the rotor attached.

I love the look..... and it'll be even better when I get my 2" longer fork tubes added....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Looks good Sick Mick👍👍. I did find a 21" Harley front ww wheel and has an Avon tire; it came off a Heritage Softail deluxe fits any Harley from 2000-2007 but she's not $100. It's a bit pricey $800. I think I'll keep searching online for a cheaper tire. Thanks for the reply

1 - 14 of 14 Posts