Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 44 years old and I haven't ridden a bike since high school. I just bought a 1994 VMAX - man, this bike is mean! I love it, but when i ride on the expressway I feel like I'm going to be blown off of the bike. The bike has a small windshield on it and I'm wondering if I should get a bigger windshield or if I should just take off the one that is one it?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm 44 years old and I haven't ridden a bike since high school. I just bought a 1994 VMAX - man, this bike is mean! I love it, but when i ride on the expressway I feel like I'm going to be blown off of the bike. The bike has a small windshield on it and I'm wondering if I should get a bigger windshield or if I should just take off the one that is one it?

Any suggestions?
Hang on tight.:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum 94vmax. This is a great forum and I have to agree with taboo, hang on tight! A bigger shield might help but I can't say for sure as I haven't ridden the V-Max.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts

Any suggestions?
Man! I wish I could REMEMBER being 44 years old!:(

After a break in riding as significant as yours, many of the riding sensations will seem enhanced. I'm pretty sure that you'll rapidly get used to the slipstream, and you'll redevelop the riding posture and muscles that have long since atrophied.

Freeway riding is always an adventure in that you are subject to eddies, crosswinds, and drafts from passing heavy traffic. As you become more comfortable on the bike, you'll begin compensating unconsciously and some of the stess will bleed away. In the meantime, practice in quiet venues (or avenues:D) and knock off some of the rust. Check out the "Ride Like A Pro" videos, and think about an MSF course to get you happily back in the saddle.:)

As to windshields, there are lots of considerations. Taller windshields mean more headwind resistance, and high velocity air currents, particularly crosswinds, can give you serious buffeting and some handling problems. If you get a windshield too tall to see over in your normal riding position, you will regret it soon and often if you ride in mist/fog/rain and cooler temperatures (and particularly any combination of those factors at night).

But in the meantime, welcome to our lifeboat of sanity in the midst of the Titanic of motorcycle forums (In fact, you'll find most of us here are a little dinghy...:D:D:D)

Ride safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At 44 years old myself I share your issues with the puny windshield on the mighty max. Personally i fabricated 2 pieces of 1/8 inch stainless brackets. I turned the windshield up a little straighter and moved it up off the headlight about 1/4 inch. The only downfall is my top speed has gone from 150 to 135mph. PLEASE dont ruin the look of that beautiful bike with some big nasty windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the bigger Yamaha windscreen and put on top of small one..May need to cut brackets off 1" for clearance..works,looks boss! Blocks lots wind call me if needed,,9044773835,,,Randy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts