Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi V-Star people;

Has anyone changed the Clutch springs on a V-Star 650?
I have a 1998 V-Star 650 Classic & have always done preventative efforts before they become required repairs. So I have read that the Clutch Springs & the Clutch lever are the weak points. I have made a jury rig fix for the Clutch lever which works, Unfortunately I have told too many people about the kits on eBay. <grin> :( I've been trying to get one of those kits for a more polished solution. I have tried for weeks to find a 5" stainless steel compression spring! Darn it! The eBay kit is worth it just to get the spring.

Any how... back to the topic. I got a set of 20% stronger springs from eBay. I know I have to get a new side cover gasket & will be getting one.

Does any one who has done this have any tips or tricks to do this without doing a stupid thing. Stupid things always seem to cost a lot to remedy. :eek:

Thanks in advance;

JohnB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way

BTW...
This time I bought the springs from eBay before I talked about them so I could get them for a good price! LOL

I am following these instructions "Replacement Clutch Springs" from http://www.650ccnd.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st try failed

Well... I tried to install my eBay purchased Clutch Springs & determined that they were incorrect (too wide).
So after 3 quarts of Mobil 20-50 oil, oil filter & side cover gasket wasted on the attempt... soooo I didn't save any money!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2nd try

After I determined that the Clutch Springs would not work, the eBay Seller referred me to the manufacturer. So, I sent an email to KG Clutch Factory explaining the problem. They quickly responded asking me to send them the springs & then they would replace them. They quickly sent the replacements with good progress communication through out the process.

KG is a very good company with great support!

After receiving the springs, I installed them again along with all the support items as the "1st try".

The clutch engagement feels better now. It was worth the effort & provided lots of entertainment for my neighbors as they watched me strip the bike down.

....but it is done! No leaks & still runs!

johnb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts