Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just bought a 1999 VSTart 650 that I'm trying to learn on. I know very little about motorcycles; but am doing this as a fun hobby and willing to do the research and elbow grease to get it running.

I'm mostly hitting the project a few minutes each day; and I'm not in a hurry - but I'm definitely stuck at the moment and am hoping for some guidance from those of you who are more experienced.

Thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome.
I too bought a 650 a few months back and with all the information I have received here, it's in tip top shape.
You too should have a good running bike with basic maintenance.
To begin, I would suggest checking the coupler and splines for grease in the rear end. Lubing that with a 60% moly grease can save you hundreds and down time without a bike!

·
2,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here to help with any questions you might have. The 650 is a great bike to learn on - you're gonna love it. Keep us posted on your progress, ask all the questions you like, and post a pic when you get a chance!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
... I'm definitely stuck at the moment and am hoping for some guidance from those of you who are more experienced.

Thanks!
We are the best Vstar problem solvers on this planet

but you are going to have to give us a little more information about the problem.

But if I was going to take a wild guess what might be causing you problems - the most common reason new owners cant get their bike to run, is because it wont run in gear with the kick stand down.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,470 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Post your concerns so we can assist. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hello All,

Just bought a 1999 VSTart 650 that I'm trying to learn on. I know very little about motorcycles; but am doing this as a fun hobby and willing to do the research and elbow grease to get it running.

I'm mostly hitting the project a few minutes each day; and I'm not in a hurry - but I'm definitely stuck at the moment and am hoping for some guidance from those of you who are more experienced.

Thanks!
Well let's see...

1. Put gas in the tank
  2. Turn on the petcock
  3. Turn on the key
  4. Make sure it's in neutral
  5. Start it.
  6. Go take the Beginning Rider's Course from the Motorcycle Safety Federation.
  7. Ride it.
If you have problems beyond that... say what they are and we'll try to help :)

·
Super Moderator
6,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, please share some pics with us and what specific issues you are having with your bike. As others have said, we’re a helpful group and I’m sure you’ll get the help you need. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts