Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first motorcycle tire change and balance.

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado. I replaced the original and very worn out Dunlops with Shinko 230 Tourmasters.

Removal and reinstallation went very smooth. Easy enough. The front tire was fairly easy. Start to finish about 2 hours for the front. The rear was a different story. It took about 4 hours to get that tire onto the wheel. Bear in mind that this is my first motorcycle DIY tire change so there is a bit of a learning curve. It wasn't exactly easy, but wasn't hard either.

Now for the results...OMG the bike rides great! I balanced the wheels myself and at 65 MPH it is perfectly smooth. No vibrations at all.

So if you decide to do it yourself it can be done. The rear tire is the most difficult because of the stiffness of the sidewall. Just have the tools you need and get to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a friend that has a auto shop with a tire machine , so i just take my stuff to him and he mounts and balances for free, better than paying a MC shop 95.00hr for 15mins worth of work

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had access to a deal like that I wouldn't do it myself either. Total cost with the tools I had to buy (tires, tire irons, weights) was 190.00 for both tires.

The local stealership wanted wanted $180 for just the rear tire when I got the set of Shinkos for 143.

And they wont mount a tire that you didn't buy from them. Those prices DO NOT include mounting balancing.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
DK Pony, you done good:) I am sure you feel like you learned the valuable lesson, (How much money you can save, plus the pride involved) of taking care of your own stuff:cool:

Ride Safe, Live Long:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but I learned that a loooong time ago. I don't take my vehicles to anyone for anything.

Nobody puts the time, effort and caring into my stuff that I do.

I had just never done bike tires. But I'm glad I did it myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did my own. My only regret is not getting tire irons. I have a couple scratches on mine wheels because of using screw drives and pry bars. I can't blame anyone but my self. I with you on doing your own work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts