Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I let my wife ride with me i wanted to ask if there is anything to keep in mind. I know the passenger shouldn't lean or try to stay straight. I just don't remember any other directions from my father when i was the passenger.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Come up with some basic communications signals between the two of you BEFORE you leave

·
Super Moderator
13,201 Posts
you get on first, then back your bike out until you're facing the direction you want to start heading, THEN let the passenger on. point out the foot pegs/boards to them beforehand so they know exactly where to put their feet and not on your pipes. tell them to be mindful to never come in contact with your pipes. tell them not to 'assist' you with leaning. when stopping at your destination, have them get off before turning your bike into a parking spot.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Ditto on bevo, Corsair, and Summers advice. Did exactly what they recommended when my wife started to ride with me, and told the granddaughter the same when she started to ride with me. Both of them are always ready to ride now, lol.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not mentioned yet, but if you're planning on riding 2 up frequently you may consider upping the preload a notch or two and the rear wheel may have a separate recommended pressure for riding 2 up (although I believe the 950 uses the same pressure either way).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Great advice already offered. We went over to the school on a Sunday evening. She drove her car and I rode the motorcycle. At the school we had a big parking lot to "practice". That really helped build her confidence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great advice already offered. We went over to the school on a Sunday evening. She drove her car and I rode the motorcycle. At the school we had a big parking lot to "practice". That really helped build her confidence.
I've seriously considered this so i can do big loops and let her feel the lean.

·
Registered
794 Posts
She needs to move with you, not against you... a lot of non-riders get weirded out by the lean and try to compensate by leaning the opposite direction which results in total lack of turn (and possibly crashing). Make sure she knows to lean the same way as you do and remember that with more weight you need less lean to do the same turn. Use it as an excuse to have her cozy on up to your back and snuggle a bit! :D

Oh yeah, and remind her that sudden jerky moves (to look at something you are whizzing past) can throw the driver off, so move smoothly and try to look mostly forward over the same shoulder the whole time.

And finally, make sure she DOES NOT try to help you keep the bike up at stops by taking her feet off the pegs. Once on the bike she should have her feet glued to those pegs until you signal her to get off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's not a bad idea to practice two-up riding in a parking lot to get the feel of the additional weight and the handling. You can concentrate on the important stuff without worrying about traffic.

A friend took his lady to a large cemetery and rode the paved paths to get accustomed to the two-up change. :):)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not mentioned yet, but if you're planning on riding 2 up frequently you may consider upping the preload a notch or two and the rear wheel may have a separate recommended pressure for riding 2 up (although I believe the 950 uses the same pressure either way).

Just make sure you don't do this in front of her.:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uhm, ok. I don't have a clue what the preload is or how to change it. I'm guessing it adjust the shocks for a heavier load (DON"T TELL MY WIFE I SAID THAT). I'll look into it though thanks for the advice, am i looking to increase or decrease the preload?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I believe that the owner's manual has a description of how to adjust it and a tool for the adjustment should be in your tool kit. You increase the preload for increased weight. Augie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts