Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone riding 2 up on a 650?
If so, what are you using for the setting on the rear shock?
Factory preset is a 3 and was thinking it should go up to a 4 or 5.
Any comments on this!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
user manual says max load on a custom is 397 lbs
max load on the classic / silverado is 441 lbs

the rear spring preload goes from 1 to 7, so I would guess 1 would be a 90 lb solo rider, and 7 would be 441 lbs on the classic.

And yes you would have to adjust it when you switch between 1 and 2 riders. Thats why bikes like the goldwing have adjustable air shocks with an on board compressor. Pulling the seats off to adjust the monoshock is about 15 minute job.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
user manual says max load on a custom is 397 lbs
max load on the classic / silverado is 441 lbs

the rear spring preload goes from 1 to 7, so I would guess 1 would be a 90 lb solo rider, and 7 would be 441 lbs on the classic.

And yes you would have to adjust it when you switch between 1 and 2 riders. Thats why bikes like the goldwing have adjustable air shocks with an on board compressor. Pulling the seats off to adjust the monoshock is about 15 minute job.
it's a pita is what it is mines at 5 and i'm 170 i wouldn't want to put anyone over 140 on the back anyway. 5 is little soft with 2 up on mine but i can live with it

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
this guy explains it perfectly

you want your suspension to be in the middle of its travel when you are sitting on the bike
turning the preload to a higher number raises the bike higher, and you have less space for the bike to go up on the shock

turning the number down lowers the bike, and brings you closer to bottoming out on a bump.

that is all it does.

https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/adjusting-rear-spring-preload

1 - 4 of 4 Posts