Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I am new to this forum. I inherited a 2000 1100 Classic. The beast has sat since 2005-08. Regardless it's sat for many years. I will be tearing the carbs apart (which I dread). What do you recommend for a rebuild kit and Jet kit? I will be modifying the exhaust and air box during my venture into getting this thing running.

It only has 2300 miles on it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You shouldn't need a "rebuild kit". Give 'em a good cleaning and make sure all the passages are clear and you should be good to go.

Jetting changes will be based on what you want to do. If you're just drilling holes in the air box as well as the exhaust, no real change is needed as it makes a negligible difference.

Now if you're adding pods and a full system that is a different story.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So slight mods to exhaust and air intake will not likely require re-jetting. So far the carb looks good and untarnished. Once I get my daily bike on the road again, I will tear into this carb and see what's what.

I have to say for an 18 year old carbed MC, it sure looks complicated underneath the tank.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I rarely have to put any new parts in a carb. Usually a good cleaning will suffice just fine. You just have to be careful with gaskets and rubber parts when taking it apart as well as cleaning.

I use carb cleaner in a spray can and also use compressed air to clean out the carb and jets.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
you can download or print an image of the, carb breakdown so you'll know what your looking at , it's not as complicated as you think. just make sure you use tools that fit well so you won't strip the brass parts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What model of carbs are in the 1100? I've had no luck in locating a printout.
My google skills suck

I should note that I have extremely minimal experience with carbs. I've managed my way through a couple many years ago. Just not a lot of carb exposure during my time as a mechanic.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I changed the oil, put a new battery in and some fresh gas (that's literally all I did). The bike fired right up. Sitting for 11 years, and it fired right up. No leaks, except a small one from the petcock. Currently I have to have the choke on to keep it running. I took it for a quick ride up and down the street and it seems to run decent. A little more tlc and I'll have a great little bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike still runs. However I've noticed that the front jug does not get warm. I know there is bright blue spark as I checked it before I fired it up. I have limited experience with carbs, but I'm guessing the front jug would not be getting fuel, or maybe too much fuel? I guess I should pull the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning. Is there anything else I could check?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts