Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a 2000 Roadstar 1600 and it needs a little work. Right now I am working on getting it to stay running when it is placed in gear.

I have already bypassed the clutch safety and kickstand safety. It doesn't clunk when going into gear just cuts off like the kickstand is down. If I try to start it with it in gear it will surge forward a little if the clutch isn't pulled in.

I have downloaded the manual and printed out the tests for the relay near the turn signal relay. It was replaced with a used one but not sure if it was any good.

The bike has a Dyna 3000 on it also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I recently received a 2000 Roadstar 1600 and it needs a little work. Right now I am working on getting it to stay running when it is placed in gear.

I have already bypassed the clutch safety and kickstand safety. It doesn't clunk when going into gear just cuts off like the kickstand is down. If I try to start it with it in gear it will surge forward a little if the clutch isn't pulled in.

I have downloaded the manual and printed out the tests for the relay near the turn signal relay. It was replaced with a used one but not sure if it was any good.

The bike has a Dyna 3000 on it also.
Just confirming the clutch safety is the plug below the clutch lever? Mine had worked loose after internally wiring my handlebars, and I had the same problem. Cleaned the plug area, reinserted and no more issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that one has been bypassed. I am scratching my head. I have talked to a few bike mechanics and they are thinking it has to be electrical somewhere, its just tracing it out that will be a bear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah that one has been bypassed. I am scratching my head. I have talked to a few bike mechanics and they are thinking it has to be electrical somewhere, its just tracing it out that will be a bear.
With those two switches bypassed, i don't understand why it wouldn't be good. Man that sucks...good luck with the hunt! Let us know when you get it and what was causing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. I guess I kinda made progress today. I checked the bypassed stuff and disconnected each bypass and it behaved as if the switch were still there. I decided to take the*battery*out and check the wires in the left side cover. Got hot since I am working on it in direct sunlight so I put it back together. I decided to try it one more time. It started in neutral so I pulled the clutch in and put it in first. Since my brain was a little warm it took a second to realize it was still running. So I back it up and let out the clutch. I got it turned around before it died. Then it was back to starting in neutral but as soon as you put it in gear it would die.*

I guess I am calling this a half step forward. Now was it a wire under the left side cover or was it having the*battery*disconnected and then put back in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts