Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
36,000 miles 1100. When maintaining speed, intermittently, I hear a sound similar to a b-b hitting a hubcap. Not as loud as that, but that is the sound. Immediately after, there is a slight miss. It is very intermittent. Again, only maintaining speed, not on acceleration, or decel. I also have (what I have read as normal) ticking on the top end. Very annoying! Overall love the bike! Northern Illinois is supposed to have beautiful weather tomorrow, I plan on making the most of it!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yep that is a V- Twin, when it starts doing it on accel is when you start to worry, check the start plugs , it will do it more with dirty plugs, also every once in a while run some seafoam through the tank, both of those will reduce that

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,651 Posts
Kinda thinking out loud, could you be hearing spark jumping from the plug wire with to head due to a bad spot on the wire? The cylinder would miss that cycle and that's what you feel. Just something you might want to check. On the slight tick, yes, normal. The only cure I found that is seemed to go away when I put my Cobra Slash Cut exhaust and was on the throttle. :ROFLMAO: 😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the plugs today, the front cylinder plug was loose, which would explain the intermittent short that caused the ping noise and the miss. So far, so good. Drove it for 80 miles without hearing it or feeling it. I think the plug was arcing in the thread area once in a while, causing the noise and the miss.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,651 Posts
Great news, love easy fixes.

Reactions: faffi
1 - 6 of 6 Posts