Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

2000 vstar 1100 custom hard to start

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Sharkbaithal 
#1 ·
within last couple weeks my vstar has been hard to start, not cranking fast and kicking over. it has been really hot , humid, and rainy here and having to turn ignition on and off and crank several times to start bike.

anyone have similar issues, maybe weak battery, but the guy i bought bike from in march said the battery was new. i have a trickle charger, i guess i could try that also, what do you think?

thanks for your input

#2 ·
My 2000 1100 Classic has been hard to start on hot days after running highway speeds and getting hot. On one occssion it was flooding out, and the carb needed cleaning, whcih fixed the problem. I'm still a little suspicious on real hot days. I've heard that vstars have a starter that can become more and more difficult to start with age, but I don't know.
jazzer59

#4 ·
i am still having trouble staring engine. last few times with choke on turned over but didnt start then on subsequent starts, very slow rotation and died. i am going to charge battery tonight and see if it helps, if it is battery i will replace it but it is only one year old. i like the bike but it sure is a problem now starting. after it runs a while it is ok. if you got any ideas let me know.

thanks

#5 ·
I'm guessing its the battery. Change out the battery and let us know.

#9 ·
You need to do some more reading. 93 octane actually burns slower in a low compression engine, which the V-Star 1100 has. To give you an example, read the link below that I provided. Stop wasting your money cause your not getting any benefits by using 93 octane in your V-Star 1100. If you want more horse power (performance), change your pistons to a higher compression pistons and change the cams. Add better filters like a POD kit and install better flowing exhaust pipes.

Ask for Shane if you call sscustomcycle
http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/engine/v-star1100.shtml

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_higher_octane_gas_give_50cc_scooter_more_power

#10 ·
ok... i can see that this is going no where. let me let you in on some thing. after i put an after market exhaust on and rejetted with a stage two dyno jet kit and a k and n filter, my fuel milage went down. i had more power, but feul economy went south. now that i am running 93 octane, my starts are quicker. warm up time is faster. and have a better throttle response. plus my fuel econ. is almost the same as it was before i did the changes. now, you can read all that you want but everything that i am doing, has been field tested and proven by me. i do what works. thats all. i dont have to read some material to ride my ride the way that it works best for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.