Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a used road star with 35k mi. absolutley love the bike...... but i recently have noticed a rattle coming from what sounds to be under the igniton switch area. it sounds like metal to metal and does it at certain low rpms......like around 35mph or if you lug the motor in a higher gear. sounds almost like a heat shield under the tank or something. any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2000 and just fixed a rattle up front as well. Mine was the windshield mounting bracket as it sat bolted to the frame just under the headlight. Over the years, the stainless wind deflectors were hitting my crash bar in tight turns and whenever the handle bars were turned to the max. The constant pressure broke a mount and the two pieces rattled constantly. 15 mins to take off and a few dollars at my local welder and hopefully this will not break again. Don't forget to seal the weld against rust before reassembling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine did not come with a factory windshield but the dealer did install a mephis shades windshield on my bike before purchase. i will give it a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2000 Road Star Ultra and I found two of the most common rattles that will drive you crazy. The one you may have is the headlight bucket. I have to take mine apart and lube the springs with grease about twice a year. Also wrap the outside if the outer lip on bucket with tape. Black tape or duck tape. Just enough so you can't see it when you put the outer rim back on. The other is the back bolt that holds the gas tank in the rear. I put a rubber washers between the mounts and frame on both sides. Install long bolt and tighten down. Hope that helps, Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts