Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a little insight here. I have a 2001 vstar 1100, lowered and raked with numerous engine mods. Pushing 80 hp and the thing is a blast to drive. My dilemma is I wish to go with a 21" front wheel. Although there are numerous "aftermarket" neck bearings to adapt a HD wide glide front end (costly to buy the front end) and the method of spacers and milling the axle to use a HD front wheel I am kind of shying away from those. I have been told a kawasaki vulcan and a kawasaki intruder (both custom models) have the ability to slide right into the vstar triple clamps. Has anyone attempted this? According to very few posts I have seen, a complete front end (forks, wheel, caliper and brake hose) will suffice....but no actual accounts of anyone doing it that I can find.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ive never heard of that. But you could easily just get a rake get and use the stock setup you have now... 5 degrees should get the 21 on with no problems.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
No dilemna at all. I'm doing it right now. You can buy a Harley Axle for $20, spend another $30 to get it milled. Then drill the right fork out (only 2mm bigger)....or just buy another used V Star lower fork for about $40 if you are afraid of drilling yours. Measure for spacers, then a take a quick trip to about any Harley shop to pick them up...probably another $30 for both.

I picked up a 21" 40 spoke Harley wheel with rotor for $95 shipped. I'll have less than $200 including the wheel and a lot of guys have done the drill out the fork modification with absolutely no issues.

You could also get a newer Harley wheel that uses sealed bearings.... mostly 2000-up.... and find a bearing to fit the 17mm Yamaha axle. That is doable too. You'll just have to do some research. You;d have to double check, but I believe the bearing would have to be 17 X 52. I started but decided on a tapered bearing wheel ... 1999 - down.

...or....if you want to go the Kawi way...let us know how it goes. Sounds like it might be a lot more hassle and probably more expensive. But if it works...I'd like to know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts