Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Hot Springs, AR! I'm new to the forum, but I have an old problem (judging from the threads). My 2001 1100 has a fresh charge on the battery, and new spark plugs (which have a good blue spark). I don't ride it much, but start it up about once every two weeks. A few days ago I tried to start it, but it just cranks...the starter engages and the engine turns over. I tried to spray a little starting fluid (I know...but I was desperate)...into the airbox and still nothing. I also tried to use my jump box on it, but no luck. Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you are sure the battery is good and you have a good spark I would replace the gas if its old and has ethanol and check the fuel pump, fuel filter and clean the carbs (float stuck?)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,950 Posts
I strongly suggest to have your battery load tested. The battery might be strong enough to turn the bike over, but not enough strength to properly operate the ignitor and charge the coils for a full spark. Any auto parts store can test for free if you take it off and carry it in. Once you have confirmed a fully charged, tested good battery and is still doesn't start post back. Also noticed this was your first post. If you post a hello in the New Members Introduction Section it will give a chance to know you. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dmil123 and lesblank. I've charged the battery overnight and tried to help it out even more by using my jump box. Battery was tested and is reading good. Still turns over, but will not start. I did remove the tank today to be sure every drop of fuel was drained (and a repaint), shot a little bit of starting fluid into the intake (with filter box off) but still did not try to fire.

·
Registered
287 Posts
make sure you have good spark at each plug. Combustion needs air, fuel and ignition source. If its not the spark, it has to be fuel delivery. You could try disconnecting a fuel hose after the petcock, open the petcock, turn on the key and hit the starter to see if the fuel pump and relay are working. (just collect gas in a safe manner). Or, on some bikes, you can hear the fuel pump energize when the key is switched on. I am not familiar with your model, but on cars I used to test fuel pump output with a pressure gauge. Might want to check your plugs too and make sure they are not fouled. Let us know what you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts