Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the post states, I have a 2001 Yamaha VStar that I just recently purchased. Took her for a ride and ran out of gas at about 110 miles. Ive owned a Vstar previously and easily hit over 200 miles. Also noticing a loss of power at higher rpms with some sputtering . Does any one have any ideas as to why this may be happening? I'm not noticing any fuel leaks anywhere. I know its a bit broad, but a start from anywhere would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
3,752 Posts
I can't help with your problem but welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Sounds like carbs at not atomizing fuel correctly due to dirty jets or passages. I would try a few tanks if a good fuel system cleaner like Seafoam to see if it will clear up before doing anything else. Noticed this was was you first post. If you start a thread in the New Members Section we can get to know you and your bike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So as the post states, I have a 2001 Yamaha VStar that I just recently purchased. Took her for a ride and ran out of gas at about 110 miles. Ive owned a Vstar previously and easily hit over 200 miles. Also noticing a loss of power at higher rpms with some sputtering . Does any one have any ideas as to why this may be happening? I'm not noticing any fuel leaks anywhere. I know its a bit broad, but a start from anywhere would be nice.
200 miles? I have a 2001 650 and, I fill up between 120 and 135 (without ever hitting reserve). But 110 from a full tank seems pretty low unless you were really thrashing her. I'm not the right guy to help you, though. I've put 17K+ miles on my 650 in the past 4 years. I did a valve lash check once (last year) but, I've never messed with the carbs. I'm sure someone here will have good starting point suggestions!

Reactions: RainUntoYou

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
just for comparison, I have an '07 with a large windshield and average 50-52 mpg. I normally re-fill at 150 miles, and expect it should go to 175 miles before switching over to reserve. Including reserve, the bike should go around 200 mi til completely empty. I am a conservative rider traveling mostly in the 45 to 60 mph. speed range and the tank holds 4.2 gals.

·
Registered
355 Posts
just for comparison, I have an '07 with a large windshield and average 50-52 mpg. I normally re-fill at 150 miles, and expect it should go to 175 miles before switching over to reserve. Including reserve, the bike should go around 200 mi til completely empty. I am a conservative rider traveling mostly in the 45 to 60 mph. speed range and the tank holds 4.2 gals.
I must need some carb adjustment because, with a batwing fairing and my "summer" (low) windshield, at city speeds, I can't get above 45 mpg.

·
Registered
2007 V Star 650 Silverado
15 Posts
Since I'm still fairly new to the 650 I decided to try to figure out how far I could go before hitting reserve...I think I was at ~142 miles when it started misfiring so I guess that puts me at around 45-ish mpg. However that's mostly city miles and I do think I have a tendency to accelerate from stops quite a bit harder than necessary...at some point going to try it again with just comfortable country cruising and see what I get.

110 miles though is WAY off...this is probably an offensively stupid suggestion but as an IT guy I know, you always have to eliminate the obvious: you don't by chance have the choke pulled out do you? (Sorry that's about as far as my bike troubleshooting can go on this...)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I must need some carb adjustment because, with a batwing fairing and my "summer" (low) windshield, at city speeds, I can't get above 45 mpg.
I should mention that I mostly do open road cruising. I have to believe stop'n go city driving would have a big negative impact on mpg. I have miles between stops... not city blocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the quick responses everyone. Y'all are awesome! Ill give some seafoam treatment and check about syncing as well with an update on Saturday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Random brain fart idea about my previous mileage. I did live in Denver, Co and do alot of mountain riding. Wonder if that helped enough to improve gas mileage? Now im in Wisconsin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts